grrr I hate the city!

derogate

It was the first (well second technically) snow of the year here in Vancouver, and it was actually staying on the ground this time. SWEET, Time to get my snow legs, do some donuts, practise starting, stoping, turning etc. I always do it when it first snows, it keeps me aware of how badly my vehicle handles in the snow. My dad has always told me its good to do this, and Its saved me a few times... hehe plus its really fun! Anyways, theres almost an inch of snow on the ground and I figure I'll find a nice quiet parking lot to goof around in. After a short 5 minute drive I find a well lit, abandoned parking lot and start doing my thing. Wouldn't you know it, a cop pulls up to me and tells me to get out of my car, yadda yadda yadda, you know the rest. He gave me a REALLY hard time and ended up only giving me a warning after I kissed his ass for 10 minutes straight. Seriously.. WTF!? Where I grew up, the MOST a cop would EVER do in this situation, is come up to you and say "you're on private property, go wreck your car somewhere else" or just plain "get out of here". .... ugh... living in this city is really getting to me, you can barely find anywhere to be away from people, they put an inch of salt on the roads for an incoming half inch of snow, and people leave work 3 hours early cause its going theres going to be a "snow storm". lol 4 cm's of snow that doesn't stick IS NOT a snow storm!

Anyone else have similar occurances before? surely the cops in the more rural areas have never razzed you for something this harmless.

WAVEY sorry to hear about your run in with the cops. i had a run in with a forrest ranger after a few good snows in the rocky mtns i decided to go up and cut fresh powder with my 97 pathy so i did it was awesome!! but when i reached the top of the ohv trail i was on the ranger was there and hassled me for like an hour saying i was not following the trail and disturbing natural wildlife???? i told him i could not find the trail to stay on it in the first place as it was covered in snow. oh well i was let off with a warning. since then they have put a gate at the trail-head. bummer.

I feel you man. Here in Boise it is the same story with the exception of salt. D.O.T. lays down sand... ya no rust here!! My biggest complaint is that the majority of drivers don't know how to drive in snowy/icy conditions. It is so funny you see HUGE lifted Cummins TD's or Powerstroked Fords slid off the side of the road, because they think that 37" tires + 4 wheel drive = indestructable, what a bunch of yahoos. But I tell you what the Pathy is very stable, no issues here!

post-1-1133564717.jpg

It was the first (well second technically) snow of the year here in Vancouver, and it was actually staying on the ground this time. SWEET, Time to get my snow legs, do some donuts, practise starting, stoping, turning etc. I always do it when it first snows, it keeps me aware of how badly my vehicle handles in the snow. My dad has always told me its good to do this, and Its saved me a few times... hehe plus its really fun! Anyways, theres almost an inch of snow on the ground and I figure I'll find a nice quiet parking lot to goof around in. After a short 5 minute drive I find a well lit, abandoned parking lot and start doing my thing. Wouldn't you know it, a cop pulls up to me and tells me to get out of my car, yadda yadda yadda, you know the rest. He gave me a REALLY hard time and ended up only giving me a warning after I kissed his ass for 10 minutes straight. Seriously.. WTF!? Where I grew up, the MOST a cop would EVER do in this situation, is come up to you and say "you're on private property, go wreck your car somewhere else" or just plain "get out of here". .... ugh... living in this city is really getting to me, you can barely find anywhere to be away from people, they put an inch of salt on the roads for an incoming half inch of snow, and people leave work 3 hours early cause its going theres going to be a "snow storm". lol 4 cm's of snow that doesn't stick IS NOT a snow storm!

Anyone else have similar occurances before? surely the cops in the more rural areas have never razzed you for something this harmless.

You and your old man have it right. Practice makes perfect. That copper should have praised you for taking the time and effort to get to know your cars ability in snowy and icy conditions.

You should have posed the question to him.... Better here than under atruck somewhere because I was not prepared?

You did the right thing by sucking up his arse. No fine for you is still a victory.

1st Good snow, empty parking lot at midnight=lots a fun and "Practice" till the red and blue lights show up.

Same thing happen to me the other night... Minding my own business in the Home Depot parking lot... Flashing Red and Blue lights...

City police car pulls up next to me, rolls down his windows and informs me about the private property..... Then he laughs and does a couple of dounuts around where I was at, then says have a safe drive home.....

In the interior (vernon) we're used to white stuff, I love driving in it, drifting corners in a pathy is great. Its always funny listening to the radio (rock101) in Van. at work in the morning, cars in ditches, suv's on there roof's, ect. To many yuppies in yukons or cars with bald summer tires that think they can still do the 20 over the speed limit. I remember on the news last year down there there was a small accident on a hill and car after car kept piling into this scene untill ther was 10 or so cars involved. They just kept coming down this hill, doing 60 at that. The ICBC salvage site will be breaming after this week down there.

Never had the cops razz us for screwing around in parking lots, the rcmp are pretty melo around here.

3 hours early for work is crazy, in a blizzard it might take me 20min. and I live "outta town". Its way to hecktick down there.

Edited by SC1

Ya, Harbinger I live in Boise. I have a few friends that regularly hit the hills in Eagle, Nampa, and up at Bogus with me. We should head out sometime and get pics of the Pathys playin together and get them posted on the sight.

Indeed! You'll have to let me know when you guys are going out next, or just generally whens good for you to go. When I can go really depends on when they have me working, if I've got enough cash to fuel up the Pathy (not my daily driver), what shape bogus is in, and finally the mood my g/f is in at the time.

I was actually up @ bogus for their opening day this morning. Didn't really wheel persay, but I did find a few places to ramp and generally play in the snow. The only other place I've been for 4x4'ing is Blacks Creek, but thats not always good due to the amount of target shooters out there. But I bet you knew that.

Anywho, whereabouts in Boise are ya?

hah! Last week when the hubby & I decided to do the same thing, take the path for a few spins, donuts, stops, starts & slides in a parking lot, there was a cop doing his rounds - didnt even stop. I figure, just like Vsicks said, they would prefer we get a feel for it in an empty parking lot as opposed to on the road.

In the interior (vernon) we're used to white stuff, I love driving in it, drifting corners in a pathy is great. Its always funny listening to the radio (rock101) in Van. at work in the morning, cars in ditches, suv's on there roof's, ect. To many yuppies in yukons or cars with bald summer tires that think they can still do the 20 over the speed limit. I remember on the news last year down there there was a small accident on a hill and car after car kept piling into this scene untill ther was 10 or so cars involved. They just kept coming down this hill, doing 60 at that. The ICBC salvage site will be breaming after this week down there.

Never had the cops razz us for screwing around in parking lots, the rcmp are pretty melo around here.

3 hours early for work is crazy, in a blizzard it might take me 20min. and I live "outta town". Its way to hecktick down there.

Oh killer. Yea I grew up 15 minutes away from vernon in lake country/winfield. The cops around there where awesome. They'd lay down the law if they had to but if you wheren't indangering yourself badly, or hurting anyone else they leave you alone. I knew a few of the cops by name, and vice versa. I wasn't a bad kid or anything, its just a smaller community and the officers and well known.

I really miss the snow too, It was a blast, and as long as they didn't salt the roads the ice wasn't bad at all. They're alot smarter about snow in the interior than out here. They'll plough then sand, thats it. No re-freeze black ice BS.

I think they actually caught all those cars of TV doing that slide you where talking about. It went on for 3 or so hours straight... and if I recall correctly, there are several hills that get shut down during flurries on a regular basis because of things like that.

Hah, U guys are 100% right on the summer tires thing. Apparently there is an unspoken rule that if you have AWD, or 4wd, you dont need snowies... hell you dont even need tread!! I can't really complain about the crappy drivers around here though. Its pretty rare that they end up hurting anyone but themselves. Besides.. It gives me warm fuzzy feelings to see a spankin new bmw crammed up the back end of a 60,000 dollar mercedes.. mmm our ICBC money at work :D thanks guys!