STARTING PROBLEM

zonianbrat

:help: WHEN IT IS COLD OUTSIDE AND I START MY 97 PATHY IT STARTS THEN THE RPM'S DROP AND IT ALMOST DIES. THEN AFTER ABOUT 2 SECONDS THE RPMS RISE UP TO NORMAL. ONCE YOU RUN IT FOR AWHILE IT STARTS UP FINE AFTER THAT. ONLY AFTER IT HAS BEEN SITTING FOR A COUPLE OF HOURS DOES THIS HAPPEN. SOMEBODY PLEASE HELP ME. THANKS

common symptom of a rich fuel condition on carburetted motorcycles on start up ..more fuel and less air .. i know in fuel injected vehicles the cold start idle control prevents that via ecu, but u can try cleaning or replacing air flter .. air filter clogged = less air , and more fuel being supplied by the fuel inj. by injectors. less air and more fuel = rich condition .. but the cold start idle control situation is supp. to be imm. recognized by ecu and adjusts by high idle at start up maybe 1500+ rpm till engine warms up then slowly drops to normal idle..

or clean throttle body, many initial idle problems go away after a TB clean up ..

or is it freakingly cold like one other member mentioned ??

Edited by IndianRider

:cool2: thanks for the feedback am going to be cleaning the throttle body this weekend to stop the throtle from sticking. so i will let you know if it solves the problem. as for the temp. pretty much under 30 degrees F is when it starts.

To add to this, (cause i think that the TB cleaning will totally work) My truck when it is cold out likes to bounce RPMs...

...what i mean is if she is idling at 1000 (still cold) and I just nudge the pedal quick it will go up to say 2200 on the nudge fall back down under the 1000 it was at and quickly recover almost sounding like i "ralphed" it and demanded it go back up...if you really stab the pedal to like 3000, it will have to correct itself 3 times....going vroom vroom vrooooooooooom the third vroom being back to that 1000 rpm.

It will do this until it is at full operating temp, then you can no longer get it to do this extra revving....what the "H" is that??? I have a clean TB, a new coolant temp sensor, 2 new O2 sensors, and new plugs and wires (all less than 7K, w/TB clean as of sept)??? Anybody elses truck do that??

It has done it from the day I got it (October 2004), but i figured with the gradual tune up :Magic: that this hick-up would go away.

Edited by 98silverpathy

cold idle control system working improperly ?? the small unit might be stuck coz its supp. to have a wax filled valve which work when engine is cold, and keeps revss up and stops working when engine is at normal operating temps.. bouncy idle even after engine warmed up = vaccum leak ??

on my honda prelude, it was called IACV, Idle Air Control Valve ..is also called cols start valve, idle air control system ..or elec. idle air control system .. diff. manufacturers call it diff. things..

its like an electronic/mechanical choke ..