synthetic Manual tran fluid

vidro

Absolutely GL-4 (Dont let them tell you GL-5 the same thing or compatible), and make sure to put in 5 quarts, not 3.5 or what ever the manual says. There is a TSB posted in the Garage/Tech section about it. The brand I hear the most often is Redline, but I'm sure there are other suitable. I'm still running Dino as a flush so I don't have any links for you.

B

"Leaning the truck" now there's an idea.

V6 3.0L M/T 7.5 Pint. Isn't that 2 pints to a qrt? putting that pretty damn near 4 qrt.

CRAP!!!!!! I've probably driven this thing around 500 miles, SOaB now what damage did I do?!!!!!

Oh well, I can't sit here bitchen about it all day I guess this gives me a good excuse to get the synthetic in there now.

Edited by vidro

You have a 95XE 2 wheel drive ??? DOH !!!

What the hell are you doing with a 2 wheel drive ?? :blink:

Ok, the TSB is specifically for 4 wheel drives. Here's the read...

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=2621

Chiltons states 5.1 pts (2.5 quarts) for a 2 wheel drive so you did it right and haven't caused any damage. I see no harm in putting in more oil than 2.5q as it is not a pressurised system, but again, the TSB states for 4x4, not 2x4. Just pull the shifter and pour in 3 quarts (after draining it and replacing the drain plug of course) and call it good.

Hanging a horse shoe up side down over the garage door, burning some myrrh and frankincense while chanting cant hurt either. No sacrifices are needed for refilling the tranny... ;)

What the hell are you doing with a 2x4 anyway !! :P

B

Stock, yes, it is a 2x4, it was the only one I could find at the price I could afford.

but I'm working on a gear and sprocket idea that would put a gear on the rear axle and a gear on a home made front that attaches to the front 2 tires with a chain connecting both.

Damn if I was serious about that I should be checked into the nut house, AGAIN

Stock, yes, it is a 2x4, it was the only one I could find at the price I could afford.

but I'm working on a gear and sprocket idea that would put a gear on the rear axle and a gear on a home made front that attaches to the front 2 tires with a chain connecting both.

Damn if I was serious about that I should be checked into the nut house, AGAIN

or

http://npora.ipbhost.com//index.php?showto...t=0entry52628

:D

This is great, people that think like me, that's really should be disturbing.

Hey, I was able to push the damn thing on it's side and force another qrt in to the tranny, it's amazing how much better she shifts and rides.

I hope I didn't SCREW things up to bad over these last 500 miles, no real long drives except for that Turkey hunt.

Checked on synthetics.

First off be vary wary of counter help at these franchise Auto store. Not that they don't mean well but some of these fellows start loosing train of thought as soon as the customer open their moths.

I called a place in town asking for synthetic GL4 75/90 "sure we have it in Mobile, 8 bucks a grt.. "Sounds good, I'll be right over". After 15 miles of travel (not in the Pathie), I get to the shop, go to pick up my 4 qrts. what do I find "Yes" he had 75/90 but he blew it on the GL4 it was GL5.

O.K.. I said "nice try but I need GL4". "OH" he says, leaves for about an hour comes back.

I heard some unrecognizable noise emanating from my throat as I gazed through my glassy eyes at the label, 75/90 GL4 but not synthetic.

I figure by this time that the criteria I had been expounding was getting lost in translation. To try and accumulate the correct values to solve the requested equation was evidently not in this guys ability on this given day.

I guess these guys work off some level of commission or something because he tried to convince me that GL5 can take the place of GL4. "See it says on the label meets and/or exceed GL5 recommended application".

My thought was since I don't know the difference between GL4 GL5 or any other oil based chemical compound I will take it from those that I feel more confidant in (You guys on this forum) and stick specifically with GL4 .

"But it EXCEEDS GL5 which must be better than GL4 because it is a bigger number", he says

This discussion went on for, hum another 5 seconds, this is about the time I decided to see just how far in to the ear tube canal one of those long qrt bottles could go. The store manager didn't appreciate me showing off my impalement skills on his counter help.

Long story SHORT they did not have any 75/90 GL4 in synthetic but they were nice enough to call the surrounding hemisphere to help locate some, and they did.

4 qrts at the price of $20.00 a qrt. "What the crap is up with that?".

I guess if I want it I'll have to pay their price. At least I'll save on gas, the location of this store is right next to the police station which was convenient since the counter help CAN'T TAKE A JOKE

Sh@# between $20 a qrt and my "get out of jail" card from "Bobby the Buffed up Bondsmen" ex WWWF wrestler. Christmas is going to be thin this year.

Edited by vidro

Does any one know anything about “Royal purple” oil?

I can get this stuff at $9.00 qrt versus $20.00; my concern is that it shows it will take the place of GL4 AND GL5.

I have always been leary about a product that can cover/do many things. It’s usually an indication that it is o.k. at everything but not great at anything.

Also....DO NOT use Royal Purple stuff that's good for GL4 and GL5 applications. It's too slippery. Find a true GL4 fluid. I had some before......Pennzoil Synthetic, GL4, but by the time I put it in, I'd already done the damage with the GL5 fluid........ :(

Well vidro, you were somewhat incomplete with your discription. Just how far did you get the quart bottle nossle into the guys ear canal ? Were you able to squirt some in to help lubricate his thought process ? sly

Chiltons states 5.1 pts (2.5 quarts) for a 2 wheel drive so you did it right and haven't caused any damage. I see no harm in putting in more oil than 2.5q as it is not a pressurised system, but again, the TSB states for 4x4, not 2x4. Just pull the shifter and pour in 3 quarts (after draining it and replacing the drain plug of course) and call it good.

I guess you missed that, eh ? :P

"But it EXCEEDS GL5 which must be better than GL4 because it is a bigger number",

Yep, pure logic at it's finest !! I had similiar experiences, but at 4 different stores in the same day. My tranny was out of the truck, and I needed the gear oil... Every store 'helper' said a variant of the same thing... "Just put this in" or "this should be fine, it works for everything". Thankfully, I knew GL-4 was required but when I tried to explain that, their eyes glazed over and their jaws went even more slack as they would tonelessly repeat "GL-5 replaces GL-4" or "well, it says right on the bottle...". I finally found some dino 85-90 and settled for that.

Someone with knowledge described that the additives in GL-5 are harder then the ones in GL-4 (or something like that) and chews things up on a micro level. May as well throw in some sand while you're at it !! :blink: Maybe I can find the post...

Ordering on line would probably be the best bet. I'll try to look around today as I'll be wanting some soon myself...

B

I didn't get it in his ear to far.

I'm sure if I would have taken off that little cap on the vary tip of the bottle I could have gained another half inch.

I was able to get another pint into the tranny last night, again driven the passenger side wheels on the curb of a already slanted road.

I'm wonder way it took another pint considering no leaks and it was oozing out the drain hole the night before,

When I had the tranny apart I noticed the separated plate had a slit at the bottom I'm sure this is for the oil to get into that part of the tranny housing.

I'm wondering now if I was and am premature on thinking the tranny is full when it is seeping out of the filler hole.

I'm thinking that it might take a little time for the volume of fluid to disburse evenly with a restriction such as that plate, even with the gap at the bottom.

Does this thinking make any sense?

Precise1, on the 4x4 - 2x4 thing. Believe me, knowing it's a 2x4 makes me feel like a "Want-ta be" not the real McCoy.

I come from a vintage muscle car back ground "need for speed" and classic curves.

I have been attracted to the "SUV", hope I don't offend anyone with that acronym but financially to get one now days is like buying a house.

Plus, I have this thing about "Doing it myself".

I ran across this 2x4 deal when the PO didn't want to spend the money to get the tranny fixed. I picked it up for 1K, tranny built for around $300, that's with the special tools purchased. About $100 on the exhaust . I think right I'm at a little over $1600 with the extras, like speakers, tune-up components, timing belt & tensioner, water pump , Yada Yada.

I also lean towards foreign autos when it comes to dependability and quality, older domestic for muscle.

I was absolutely PISSED when I heard last week that GM was going to shut down all those plant last week

It baffles me that American Corporations DON'T GET IT.

"Business"- making financial gains by producing a product that accommodate the consumer economically through cost, quality, and growth.

These top Exe are nothing but a bunch of Harvard BLOW HARDS and have lost focus.

Is it about the bottom line and making money? "Yes", but methodology determine the true business man.

Hell anyone can take over a business and cut jobs to make the bottom line look good.

It is hard enough to except the fact that the top level of GM is making 6 - 7 figure income.

That kind of income could be justified if they could save those plants and jobs BUT to CUT those jobs and still think their worth 6-7 figures, THAT IS CRAZY.

If I was on the board and that was the finally solution I'd FIRE everyone of their Exe ASSES.

GM - Revaluate your problem MAKE A BETTER PRODUCT

Sorry about that I know this is not the place to air my political or professional opinions

Edited by vidro