Thorleys & Exhaust Installed!

Revco

So, I was down in Portland for the holidays and I decided to run out an see if this exhaust place I used to go to would be interested in doing my header & exhaust install. The place is called Exhaust Specialties/Master Muffler and they're well known for doing great work. After some discussion and a "guarantee" it could be done by Saturday afternoon at the latest, a deal was struck by 10AM Friday morning. Work to be done: Old exhaust out, manifolds out, headers installed, new cat, new muffler, new tail pipe, new O2 sensor installed, and any other "stuff" that pops up. Work commenced immediately. Yeaaaaa...I was gonna have headers and new exhaust! :D

DAY 1: Work began by ripping out all the old exhaust. Sparks are flying, pieces are dropping...this has got to be an exhaust guy's favorite part of a job like this. P... A few torques of the down pipe & Y pipe...and we're clear to start work on the manifolds.

On to the passenger side manifold - which had the famous ticking sound pretty bad. Heat shields off, wheel was off, inner fender wall pulled back & the studs were coming out remarkably well. All of sudden.... :o ...one of the manifold studs broke off. No matter...Don steps in...welds a nut & washer to the stud...and ziiiip...comes right out. Great. New studs are placed...gaskets are prepped with liquid copper...and about 4 hours after beginning, I have a passenger side header. Purty.

On to the drivers side. Same preparation takes place...time to take the studs out...damn...two break off. :angry: Another two washers...two nuts...quick weld...and BAM...they're out. Whew...a wave of relief...I won't be here until next week. Sink some new studs...gasket prep...and the drivers side is on. Really purty.

After looking at the air tube that connects to the drivers side header, it's determined some fab work will be needed to get it to fit right. That's why I like these guys...it's not just that it works...it's that the job is done right. It's about 5PM & it's decided there's no way things will be done today. :beer:

DAY 2: The day begins early...7AM...an hour before they open. My throttle body is taken apart, air tube is pulled out...and we enter into a 2 hour bending/fitting back and forth marathon. Finally the air tube fits without forcing it...and my throttle body is reassembled. Ah...finally...the PITA is done and we're on to the fun part! -bounce-

Side track: Another Nissan WD21 truck pulls in to fix a manifold stud that had broken off. Poor SOB...after much work...it's determined he's gotta pay $500 for a new manifold install. Bet he wish he had headers lined up!

After insuring a fit for the down-pipe and Y-pipe, the gaskets are prepped and everything comes together. Perfect fit on an auto tranny with no mods to the Y or down pipe whatsoever. Fabrication begins on the pipe that will lead into my new hi-flow cat. A mount is welded so I can have a disconnect at the Y-pipe and the bung hole is prepped. A couple hours later & were ready to mount it. Yippee! Next, the new Eastern Catalytic hi-flow cat goes on without a hitch and the OBDII air tube hold is cut & welded shut.

The new Magnaflow XL muffler is pulled from the box... :blink: ...it's freakin' humongous (and purty!!!). The installer is thinking :furious: and fitting is done to get the connector from the cat to muffler (about 3" space) to fit right. It's a PITA...the installer seriously jokes that this is way too pretty of a muffler to put on my truck. ;) No matter...it's soon on and finally to the tail pipe. The end is near! :)

The tail pipe is deftly bent and soon welded on. Custom exhaust hangers are manufactured and welded to the pipe. The O2 sensor wires are spliced and it is installed into the new bung. The Y-pipe is welded to the down pipe. Oooohh...time to fire it up! I step in to the truck...fire it up...and VROOOM...she comes alive with a deep rumble! Some quick bursts of throttle & she roars pretty good! Everything is checked for leaks and all is clear. It's about 4PM and it took 15 hours but they got it all done as promised.

So I'm off rumbling down the road...happy as a clam...and then I get to the freeway onramp. Back off from traffic a bit and I let her rip down the on ramp...OMG...she sounds wicked! All that air moving up front just makes this wild sound. Oooooohhh...super happy. Worth every :furious: penny paid! (About $1250 w/ headers, exhaust, cat, muffler, install)

So...I'm all excited...get my GF and head back to Spokane. Any time I get something done to my truck...I always ask the GF if she notices a difference. "No, sorry honey." is usually the answer...and is again the case here. We're rumbling around and finally get to the onramp for the freeway. I decide that there's NO WAY she could not notice this one...so I let her rip up the freeway onramp again...and the GF's like, "OK...I hear a difference. It sounds like a racecar!"

Yippeee...sorry to drone on...but thought you would want to see the write up. Pix of the install will soon follow in the pix & vids section later this evening!

Edited by Revco

Grrrrreat write up Jeff!!! :clap:

Got me all excited just reading along!!! And you know once you get the GF's approval, all is gooooood!

We're going to have to plan another run now!!!

Edited by DJ Dank

Oh, I fogot to mention...if you plan on justifying this upgrade based on gas mileage savings...forget about it. If I saw an improvement in highway mileage...it could be measured in micrometers on the gas guage. I know this because it takes me EXACTLY 3/4 tank to go from Ritzville, WA to The Dalles, OR. Maybe 1 MPG increase...not significant enough to pay off the investment within a couple years. Ah well...at least it sounds kewl.

Yeah...I'm seriously thinking some type of open air intake will be the way to go. I get this little "whistle" sound from the current intake...it's wanting to pull a bit more air than than the stock setup can handle.

I think the JWT's are no longer made...correct me if I'm wrong. I know AC has a couple choices...or I could make my own from a K&N filter, although a kit is most desireable for durability sake. Any ideas?

The pix are up: Pix Of Header & Install (See Installation Section)

Schweeett, CaseyT! That's awesome! When do they arrive?

Yeah...the $1250 was a bit hard to choke down. It went down better after a few brews, though! It's a pretty amazing difference with the new exhaust and all...it's hard to say if it's worth the price. After it all sinks in for awhile, I'll be able to tell you if I'd do it again.

EDIT: CaseyT...I found out that the tubes that are slightly extended from the flange is perfectly normal and found on most sets of headers. This insures a solid connection from the engine to the header and is best sealed with a gasket sealant compound of somesort applied to both sides of the gasket. No need to deck the flange.

Edited by Revco