possible transmission swap...

sammyb33

ok guys...i bought a 95 SE automatic, and hate it..(the transmission that is). I really wish i would have held out for a manual but the deal was there. So i was just wondering if a swap to a manual was possible, and if it was (fairly) feasable. So just wondering if anyone had done it, or if anyone had any ideas!!!!

Hey Sammy, there was a recent thread about this, and it was generally agreed that it is a PITA due to the extra petal (mounting and linkage), master cylinder, different rear end ratios, drive shaft lengths, etc. Thats a poor summary, but it doesn't seem that easy to do... I'll look for it tomorrow.

Hate to say it, but find a good 90-95 manual then sell the auto (for a proffit hopefully) ? :shrug:

B

:D the swap is possable, and ive talked with others that have done this swap, im one other that wants a manual,,, and will be swaping sometime... i hateh te auto,,, ive rebuilt mine twice now adn i broke something last weekend,,, (thining its the tq converter.) i need a 4 wd tq converter, i was using a 2wd,,,

anyway, another friend here in jax wants to swap the auto for hte manual as well, and im sure ill be helping on that,

look all you need is money, for parts....

the driveshaft will work from the auto,

the ecu will work from auto,

the exhaust is the same as well.

what you have to get is:

master cylinder/slave cylinder

the metal tubing from the cylinder to the clutch

the pedal assy (just get the whole thing,,,,)

tranny

clutch

center coulnsel

shifter boot

manual tranny mount and crossmember

make sure hte manual is from 89-95 with FOURWHEEL DRIVE

the output shafts are different.

youll have to wire up a starter relay or splice int he starting harnes so you can start you truck.. there is info on that on a/c pathfinder phill and i were talking about it.... he can start his truck in nuetral or gear...

its not htat hard, im sure it would take you a weekend if you were smart... if you cant do much my yourself then maybe two weekends.... good luck man...

and if your wondering, the manual and auto are good trannies, some think the auto is better for wheelin :shrug:

how could the auto be better for wheelin?? are you kidding....i would like to control the gear im in...not some stupid computer....oh well yea that helps a lot, and yea i am thinkin it will take me about a weekend, and i will take lots of pics for you whenever i get to it....

The swap should be very easy to do. I have converted many autos to manual. Even making parts from scratch to get the job done on car that you just can't get manaul bits and pieces for. You will not have to go to that extreem because manual boxes are readily available. The pedals should bolt straight in after you remove your auto brake pedal. The (manual) brake and clutch pedal should be together when you get them. You seem to have everything covered in that check list. The only thing I would question is the ECU. I think you might find that the auto and manual are different. They are here at least.

Taking your time you should have the job done inside a day. You will enjoy your 4wding much more with a manual too.

If you want to rock crawl, then keep the auto.

Good luck.

Edited by Vsicks Pathy

how could the auto be better for wheelin?? are you kidding....

Thanks for that, I feel the same way. :D

Seriously though, what you are calling easy makes me wonder. Of course it is possible, but to say it will take a day or two makes me scratch my head. Either you are master mechanics/fabricators with a full garage to work in or something doesn't ring true. Just to pull the tranny and put the other one in will take 1/2 day. I'm not trying to be disparaging, just not sure where you get your time estimate from... :shrug: Clue me in, eh ?

B

B, it is not a big job. Ever had your gear box out and put it back in? There are only about 20 or so nuts and bolts holding it in at the end of the day. He can even seperate the TC from the auto without removing them from the car if he wished, making the swap lighter, not necessarily easier.

Everything bolts up and that is the key. The worst case cenario is that there are no holes in the fire wall for the new master cylinder. The fire wall will more than likely have markings on it to indicate where the penetrations have to go. A drill and a hole saw will take care of business in no time. The only thing I don't think will work in favour of the swap is the auto ECU. I may be wrong though?

Edited by Vsicks Pathy

look all you need is money, for parts....

the driveshaft will work from the auto,

the ecu will work from auto,

the exhaust is the same as well.

what you have to get is:

master cylinder/slave cylinder

the metal tubing from the cylinder to the clutch

the pedal assy (just get the whole thing,,,,)

tranny

clutch

center coulnsel

shifter boot

manual tranny mount and crossmember

youll have to wire up a starter relay or splice int he starting harnes so you can start you truck.. there is info on that on a/c pathfinder phill and i were talking about it.... he can start his truck in nuetral or gear...

I agree with your list with the exception of a couple of things.

The auto ECU into a manual and the cross member.

Double check the auto into the manual.

The cross member should, by all accounts, be exactly the same as the auto one. The TC has the rear mount not the gear box. Given that the overall length of the auto and manual is the same it should bolt straight up to the TC.

As for the safety switch. He doesn't need a relay for it. He can put in and hide a normal toggle switch to bypass the old safety mechanism on the auto selector. If he chooses to do this, his Pathy will be a little more theft proof, as the car will not even turn over unless the switch is on. It can still be roll started though. Or he could just join the wires and it will be like a normal everyday car.

thanks a bunch guys...i really appricaite the input!! and yes, i consider myself an ok fab/mechanic, but i will have my friend helping..hes the one with the huge garage!! yea the problem might just be gettin everything together to do the swap...thanks again