I saved a fellow Pathy over the weekend...

TrailChaser

The way people usually hit the truck pulling them out is because of a couple of different things going wrong.

First the guy doing the pulling decides the car he's pulling out is "out" then stops, while the guy in the car being pulled doesn't think he's out far enough and doesn't stop... I've seen that happen a couple of times.

Second, most people that get stuck (on the beach) are in a 2wd car/truck and have NO idea how to drive on sand in the first place. They have way too much stress built up before you even get there to help. So by the time you start pulling them out all they're focusing on is getting out and they fail to notice the truck pulling them out has stopped.

I'm not worried about breaking anything on my truck while pulling someone out when all 4 tires are on sand. On sand I dought you could get enough traction to actually break something on a capable 4x4. I always hook up the strap to their car/truck myself, then have them check it out and OK the way I hooked it up. If I can't find a good point to hook it up I'll tell'em to call a wrecker truck. Those guys have insureance for damaging other peoples cars.

And as I mentioned b4. Beer plays a major role in beach fender benders. I remember my dad used to always get beer as payment for pulling out stuck people on the beach when I was a kid. He had an old jeep...POS jeep. :P

On sand I dought you could get enough traction to actually break something on a capable 4x4

Personally, thats what I figure... Anyone who takes a 2x car or truck on the beach is asking for it uless it is set up specifically for sand/mud. Sand can be wierd with soft areas and such. I've almost burried a 1500 pound (MAX) VW Baja that had 10.5x31" in the rear !! Got out by my buddy pulling on a cable that was attached to the front. That little bit was enough to get me moving and make it to harder packed sand. :D

Damn Dowser, it actually sounds like it wasn't your buddys fault... It's yours for recovering a complete POS... :P

B

I'm not worried about breaking anything on my truck while pulling someone out when all 4 tires are on sand. On sand I dought you could get enough traction to actually break something on a capable 4x4.

Thats why I put getting bogged yourself at number one. It would have been ironic if you got bogged with the tide coming in and a ton of guys just standing around waiting to see wich Pathy floated the longest. Lets be honest here. Sand is soft and you were pulling a dead weight of at least 1800kg. Now add to that the fact that his car was "stuck bad" and that alone might add another ton to the pulling weight, you took a huge risk.

I am not a risk taker, not like that anyway.

Edited by Vsicks Pathy

My friend hasnt paid yet. but he is gonna some how or another. I didnt mention i was honking telling him to stop did i? Well yeah i honked 3 times before laying on the horn when he hit me.

Don't tell us anymore. It only make me more angry for you. "If" you ever get paid I hope that common sense will kick in and you will avoid your supposed 'mate' like the plague.

If the guy has yet to make you right or at least attempt or have a valid excuse, I'd say walk away. Suprisingly, if there is any decent measure of friends it would be in the pocket book. A good friend will either own up or will have a reasonable excuse, whatever you find to be reasonable. Nobody with your best thoughts in mind with trash your truck then leave you hanging. Good luck, and hope for the best!

Well said Mr P... I hope he comes through 4wheeler !! Even if it takes a while...

It would have been ironic if you got bogged with the tide coming in and a ton of guys just standing around waiting to see wich Pathy floated the longest

Lets give the guy a little credit V6... He obviously knows beaches, basic recovery and has some tools. The truck that needed help was getting hit by waves... That means he was on hard packed sand, and probably angled somewhat to make use of good traction.

I doubt he'd dig himself in so bad as not to get out (any 4x4 pathy with good tires could escape). I agree that it is generally easier if the stuck truck is trying to get out also as long as the asshat doesn't try to ram you, but we are past that...

Generally there is not enough traction in that situation to break 4x4 components. He gave it a try and succeeded. Worst he could have dealt with is to say 'unhook the tow strap on the other truck please' and driven off. Well, thats just how I see it... :shrug:

:beer:

B

pulled a car out of a ditch that was pretty much vertical, I could see his gas tank from standing on the street. I was on ice and when that thing came out of the ditch it wasnt stopping for shiite, fortunately it wasnt coming towards my path but it came about 12 inches from slamming a mustang that was waiting to get by, which Im sure if it would have it would have been my fault. Even with brakes its real hard to stop on ice, just my $.02

• 4 weeks later...

A note about loose sand:

A gang of beach combers (or onlookers, friends, passengers, etc) can generally free a vehicle in loose sand.

The Crazy Geologist has gone on a lot of off-road class field trips, and without fail, one or more of the other TA's have no idea how to drive on sand, and get the uni vehicle stuck, often times a 2wd ford econoline. What to do? Pile the whole class out, get the big students in the back and push. No gear to break or become a missle, no other vehicle to get stuck. A best first try as far as I'm concerned.

The onlookers in flyer's story may have had more trouble in the wet sand in the surf, but you would be shocked how well this works in dry sand.

:aok: