Manny studs R50

02silverpathy

I know that we have tried to cover this topic several times...

My truck is at 93K miles plus now and I do not want to run out of my chance to get these manifolds replaced. Is there a way to know if they are leaking or not for sure and if they are not can they be made to leak, so that I don't get screwed at 101K miles????

Running out of opportunity to have them replaced is my biggest fear as i can't do this repair myself and the cost is staggering. I am afraid that what I think i hear is valves and that my local dealers would just turn me away since it may not be leaking. I know they are going to leak and it is just plain dumb not to get them swapped before the 100k is up...........can anyone help? :shrug:

Can you hear yourself think while driving? If you answered yes, you are not necessarily out of the woods yet. No. Do you hear a tick tick tick noise and is it more prevalent when your donk is cold? Could be your injectors, true, but it could also be your exhaust manifold. Black sh!t around the manifold is always a dead givaway too.

I'd just take it in to a Nissan dealer & demand they honor their warranty. I don't know that you have to prove they're leaking...just that they have crappy studs. We know that if they aren't all ready leaking, they ARE going to leak somewhere between 100K-120K almost guaranteed.

I've heard mixed reviews on getting 'em replaced within the 100K. Some had luck & other didn't. (Personally, I found out about the issue about 5K miles too late!) Maybe talk to them about how you're concerned about buying that new '05 Pathy/Armada due to issues with parts and honored warranties or something.

Good luck...and definately at least try!

Edited by Revco

In the 96+ Pathfinders they fixed the broken stud problem, it's the manifolds themselves that crack.

You can do what I did, take it in to a Nissan dealer and tell them you think you might have a manifold leak, but do not tell them anything about the TSB or extended warranty coverage. In my case the service manager came up and said yes you have a leak from a cracked manifold and gave me a quote of $450 to fix it. That's the point when you mention the TSB and extended warranty which surprisingly he admitted there was a warranty but it didn't apply to my vehicle, yeah right.

Ended up having to call Nissan corporate and have them work through the dealership to get the warranty honored.

As long as you are just asking them to check it out and give you a quote they'll do that for free. And at least with my local dealership, they are much more willing to find the leak when you don't mention that its under warranty.

it seems to me that extended warranty runs out at 100k miles. Mine craked at about 60k, dealer fixed it at their expense.

edit:

and if i would have read a little closer I would have seen some one allready posteed that.. sheesh

Edited by snosnk

Snosk...thanks anyway as I am really hungry for feedback on the likelyhood and outcomes!!

Lewisinc...you have proved in the pst to be an invaluable resource...this is a great idea...THANK YOU!

I know a couple guys that work at this stealership and they are very col even minded guys, but when it comes to clout...well they lack but they are great guys none the less. I am definately looking to use whatever resource that I can...I don't want to have that bill at 120K--I know that I will still have my pathy then too!

Thanks for all the responses and please do not hesitate to continue responding..this will help me and any newblood in the future!

I'd just take it in to a Nissan dealer & demand they honor their warranty. I don't know that you have to prove they're leaking...just that they have crappy studs. We know that if they aren't all ready leaking, they ARE going to leak somewhere between 100K-120K almost guaranteed.

I've heard mixed reviews on getting 'em replaced within the 100K. Some had luck & other didn't. (Personally, I found out about the issue about 5K miles too late!) Maybe talk to them about how you're concerned about buying that new '05 Pathy/Armada due to issues with parts and honored warranties or something.

Good luck...and definately at least try!

My understanding is that there is no open warranty that you can just claim, but rather a silent action on Nissan's part. I've heard many people say they had a very hard time with much pressing to get the manifold issue repaired/replaced within the 100K period. Remember, Nissan doesn't own the dealership, and the dealer doesn't have much interest in doing free work because the manufacturer screwed up. The trick seems to be to get Nissan to honor this issue with the HELP of the dealer.

My understanding is that there is no open warranty that you can just claim, but rather a silent action on Nissan's part.

No, its an actual warranty extension. TSB NTB98-062a issued November 1, 1998. Covers the exhaust manifold for 100 months/100,000 miles. But only covers VIN ranges JN8AR05***W236759. In my case the dealership's system didn't list that TSB as applying to my Pathfinder, but working through Nissan corporate they said it was covered. Dealer still refused and I had to get Nissan corporate to fax them documentation saying that I was covered under warranty before they would do the work.

Portion of letter to dealers:

It has come to our attention that some owners of 1996 - 1998 Pathfinders may be experiencing a minor noise involving the exhaust manifold, and/or corrosion/ rattles involving the main muffler and post muffler assembly. These conditions have no effect on performance or driveability, and you may continue to drive the vehicle if either should occur.

Nevertheless, Nissan is committed to maintaining your full confidence in our products. To demonstrate this, we are extending the Nissan New Vehicle Limited Warranty coverage for repair of the exhaust manifold and/or the main muffler and the post muffler assembly. The extended warranty coverage for the exhaust manifold is now 100 months/100,000 miles, whichever comes first; and for the main muffler and the post muffler assembly 60 months/ 60,000 miles, whichever comes first. Each extension date is from the original in-service date.