how to adjust headlights?

marc_andrew

I have never seen the R50 setup but I would think that they would have 2 adjusters on each head light. One for in and out and the other up and down. They should have little knobs on then or a philips head type setup. I would guess that they would also be on the head light, engine bay side.

I looked into this myself when I bough the truck as they pointed down quite a bit.

There is only one adjustment, up/down. None for side to side.

It is pain, you need some sort of special starwheel tool. For me, not even the local body shops could do it. They suggested a Phillips screw driver but the wheel was quite tight and did not budge.

I can try and get a picture of the spot/wheel if you like.

Mine was fixed by new bulbs. Apparently as the bulbs get old, they loose their alignment.

hey marc, i had the same problem. Not sure about your setup, but mine had two phillips head screws per headlight, located on top of each headlight, which are revealed after popping the hood open. really seems to only adjust the headlights to point more upward or downward, but you can offset each screw to allow some side to side adjusting...eg. screwing out the top left screw, and screwing in the top right (if you're facing the front of the car), will point that headlight a tad more to the left (view from driver's seat). hope this helps and makes some sense =P

also, you might want to look into some HID conversion kits, i just got them and they are wonderful, selling on ebay for around $200 for two xenon charged bulbs, igniters and ballasts. not the cheap filament deal xenons, but actual non filament xenon arc bulbs. you lose the capability of high beams (my qx4 has 9004 bulbs, which are both low and high, and hid bulbs are single beam bulbs), but with light so bright, i never have to use highs anymore. plug and play, no wire splicing or anything. if you do decide to get some, get a color temperature close to 6000k...works wonders! not to mention, looks great.

Edited by QuismO

QuismO, your profile shows you having a 97 Pathy. marc_andrews shows a 01. Different headlight set up (changed when they changed front ends at 99.5), only one screw/starwheel thing on the outside side of the headlight (by the black vent tube).

Can post a picture if anyone wants one.

i did notice that star-wheel thingy but it looked like it needed a special tool to adjust... wonder if you can buy a tool from the dealer (probably would be cheaper than having them adjust it)

Don't know, in the end I did not need to adjust mine.

A local body shop suggested trying a Phillips screw driver but on mine it would not budge and I was afraid of bending the starwheel thingy. So you are probably right, buy the tool and save the labour expense.

:idea: Another option: new springs (or maybe spacers?) :shrug:

Let us know how it goes.

Edited by Trainman