thermostat

solid snake

As you may already know, I'm in Arizona. Temp here during the summer is anything between 95 to 120, winter 30-70. I wanted to know what type of thermostat would you recommend, a high temp, mid or low tem thermo? Especially for my weather conditions.

If I'm not mistaken, stock T-Stats run around 170 degrees or so. I've seen 180's...but haven't seen any others. When I looked into this, 170 was considered low...180 medium. I'd stick with stock due to the heat...and just make sure your coolant's nice & fresh.

SS,

Stock at 170F for 1990 and later

While your in doing the T-Stat I would Highly/Strongly/Over Stress checking/changing the timing belt as well. Especially if you do not know when it was last done. $22 for the belt and I borrowed a HB puller.

The T-Stat was how my Project 92XE started. It was suggested to me that I also do the timing belt while I was in that deep. I did not and now have a Pathy set up for playing with bent valves :(

I was stationed at Williams AFB AZ just out side of Tempe, I drove a 82 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40 with AC B) It loved to run hot until we took out the t-stat, then it actually ran normally around town. Ya I was young and dumb.

it gets 107+ here too and i can only get a stock temp t'stat (170) and it works fine. make sure you install it correctly! and as above, keep your fluids topped up and use good coolant and you'll be fine..if yer temp starts runnin a lil warm.. you need more fluids..mine sure lets me know! :aok:

I was stationed at Williams AFB AZ just out side of Tempe, I drove a 82 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40 with AC B) It loved to run hot until we took out the t-stat, then it actually ran normally around town. Ya I was young and dumb.

I can't imagine rolling around here with out an a/c, and I really want to get this replaced before summer hits again.

Good luck man, i hope this will make the process go a little more smoothly for ya:

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=6268

Cheers.

Thanks for the write up. While in removing the rad and fan I might as well do the electrical fan swap too. during the summer my temp is at the half way mark or a litltle past it.