axle swaps on 90 wd21

oilman

So I have built my pathy about to its limit with stock axles. I have a 3 in suspension lift and a 3in body lift and am running 33x12.5s.

The twi major problems I am facing are that the stock steering is wasted ( I knew that would happen), and the rear brakes cant stop the truck and I keep blowing the adjuster out of the shoe.

First.

I know I can get an upgrade for the steering, but is this just a stop gap measure?

maybe its time for a SAS up front.

Second.

What about the rear brakes? has anyone run into this problem before? anyway I can upgrade the drums to discs. I have tHought of swapping this axle too.

I run original gears so the brakes get a real workout going down hill.

To do an axle swap I thought of two possible donors.

a dana 30in front with an 8.8 in the rear, or dana 44s from a wagoneer.

Any ideas?

I have hit critical mass with my pathy, I dont neccesarily want to go bigger, but I dont know if I can maintain this size with reliability.

post-9-1129853938.jpg

D30s are a joke. Go D44 front and Ford 9" rear. In the mean time you can upgrade to the L&P centerlink to hold you over until you get your SAS parts collected. As for brakes? I understand that the GM master cylinder is practically a bolt on and greatly improves braking performance. You may also be able to grab a cheap junkyard Nissan axle with stock disc brakes.

So I have built my pathy about to its limit with stock axles. I have a 3 in suspension lift and a 3in body lift and am running 33x12.5s. 

The twi major problems I am facing are that the stock steering is wasted ( I knew that would happen), and the rear brakes cant stop the truck and I keep blowing the adjuster out of the shoe.

First.

I know I can get an upgrade for the steering, but is this just a stop gap measure?

maybe its time for a SAS up front.

Second.

What about the rear brakes? has anyone run into this problem before? anyway I can upgrade the drums to discs. I have tHought of swapping this axle too.

I run original gears so the brakes get a real workout going down hill.

To do an axle swap I thought of two possible donors.

a dana 30in front with an 8.8 in the rear, or dana 44s from a wagoneer.

Any ideas?

I have hit critical mass with my pathy, I dont neccesarily want to go bigger, but I dont know if I can maintain this size with reliability.

Do a sas and you can change the arse end to disc. Use the search funtion and you should find it. SW has done it to his Pathy. Unfortunately you can't just search his posts, his name is too short for the search function.

I have not had any issues with my rear brakes.

Edited by Vsicks Pathy

Heavy duty front end parts will do you quite well for a while. As I have some front end frame damage, my stock steering set up is not good nor can be fixed for less than a SAS. Personally, I'm waiting on Calmini's package, as I dont want to do all the leg work myself.

I don't know the axle sizes that are appropriate.

Yes, you can upgrade to disk rear brakes. Yes, swapping axles is required. Do a search for it in the last 90 days.

No, I have never blown an adjuster out of a shoe, but I'm not sure what you are doing... ;)

B