1993 Nissan Pathfinder SE running rough...

Nay-Sayer

I recently purchased a 93 Pathfinder with 180k on it. Seeing as my 95

Pathfinder was recently stolen and winter is upon us - I needed

something for the snow - cheap. This was it. Anyhow, the engine is

running rough. I got this thing from a Church that resells donated

cars for charity so I don't know the history but it looks clean under

the hood. Any ideas why this thing is running rough? Thanks in

advance....

TNS

Sorry to hear that the old one was stolen. I hate thieves, as I'm sure you do also.

While a tune up is probably in order (check parts first), look in the Garage/How To section. There will be write ups about checking the ECU codes and how to clean the MAF sensor. This is a good, free place to start diagnostics. Let us know what you find.

B

I'm not an expert...but it could be a lot of things. Likely suspects would be a need for a tune up, O2 sensor, or possibly bad/loose wiring in one of the engine/sensor harnesses.

Update: Took it to a shop and the guy looks under the hood and observes that it has new distributor/wires/plugs. He then hooks it up to the machine and determines the hesitation I'm experiencing when I step on the gas is caused by the timing being off. The guy says advancing the timing 2 degrees will fix the problem. What do you guys think? Thanks...

I'd be suprised if it was just 2 degrees on the timing, but it couldn't hurt to have it set right. I'm assuming they did that while they were there ?? Was that 2 degrees advanced or retarded ?

B

No, the shop where I took it just put in on their machine. I'm taking the truck back to my regular mechanic to have the timing advanced. Anyhow, the guy @ the place where I took it says the timing needs to be advanced two degrees.

What about the fuel pump? Will a bad fuel pump cause hesitation when I step on the gas from stop?

Do you have an automatic or manual transmission?

If it is automatic, then it could be a problem in transmission. I did not have this issue myself, but I heard people say this "hesitation" can be an indication of something wrong in the transmission.

Update: Had my mechanic advance the timing and clean the throttle body. Doesn't sputter when starting from a stop as much as it did before. I'll run some injector cleaner thru it this week. It still idles rough @ startup though.

Ran the ECU codes and got 55....

Try looking for cracked or loose vacuum lines. Then inspect the dist cap, rotor, wires and a plug or two. If everything seems in order, try changing the fuel filter.

B

The distributor, wires, plugs, and fuel filter are all new.

Sorry, thats the second time I have said ignition parts when you had already said they were new... :huh: My bad !

Still, check all the vacuum lines you can, pulling a plug to look at it cant hurt and consider cleaning the MAF. Here is a link to the simple process...

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=5194

B

Update: Took the Path to another engine shop and they seem to think the problem I'm having is being caused by a problem with the valves. They suggested that I have a valve job but said before they would know for sure they would need to start the truck while it's cold....