2wd Gearbox

Greenbushy

Thanks Filthy, but i think you misuderstood me, what i mean is if i take the extension housing off the 2wd gearbox will the transfer case bolt up to the gearbox ,,, guess i'll have to try it and see,, will post the results when ive tried it

Greenbushy

Thanks for that info Vsicks, ya see the tranny or i think it may be he convertor died on my Terrano ,,, not sure what it is yet as ive been crook and haven't finished pulling it out yet,,, i think it maybe the convertor has stripped its splines which aperrently can happen to Terranos,, any how i picked up 88 2wd Navarra cheap and am looking at converting the Terrano to manual, i know the clutch pedal assembly will fit but wasnt sure about the trans case bolting to the 2wd gearbox,,, so thanks for the info, will keep you posted as to how it works out

Greenbushy

Umm time to up date this, with my health starting to improve ( ive had pnemona ) ive ventioned down to the shed and looked at the 2wd gearbox, no way could i bolt the transfer case onto it as the shift mechanism is bolted to the rear of the gearbox,, oh well time to strat looking for a gearbox that will fit

Greenbushy

Umm time to up date this, with my health starting to improve ( ive had pnemona ) ive ventioned down to the shed and looked at the 2wd gearbox, no way could i bolt the transfer case onto it as the shift mechanism is bolted to the rear of the gearbox,, oh well time to strat looking for a gearbox that will fit

Greenbushy

You have to unbolt the rear section of the box and more than likely replace the main shaft too. You asked if it could be done, not if it would be easy. :takebow:

Nice try at the save V6, but thats not exactly helpful, is it ? Especially that you did not mention it along with the yes answer... :angry:

B

Given the original question B; Yes was, and still is the correct answer. The yes answer is even more compounded by his reply to fithy. It can be done! :aok:

ok so it can be done then, it would be my choice of way to go rather than trying to find another gearbox because i know the history on the 2wd gearbox i have and has been recently rebuilt, it may pay me to find a 4wd Navara and have a look at the box give me a better idea what it looks like thanks for the replies

Greenbushy

ok so it can be done then, it would be my choice of way to go rather than trying to find another gearbox because i know the history on the 2wd gearbox i have and has been recently rebuilt, it may pay me to find a 4wd Navara and have a look at the box give me a better idea what it looks like thanks for the replies

Greenbushy

I have to say (and make B happy) that it would more than likely be more trouble than it is worth. Your call though.

Glad you are on the road to recovery.

are there any tricks to getting the tailhousing off? mine seems to be stuck...took the t-case off, now trying to get the tail housing...

Unbolt it from the diff end. Some times they stick. A flat blade screw driver may be required to coax it off. If you have no luck doing it that way, you could always leave it in gear (reverse preferably), lift a rear wheel and attempt to rotate it. That should losen it too.