L&P steering upgrade vs. CALMINI

TrailChaser

I'm wanting to get one of the two soon.

I see that the L&P guys beef up the centerlink, but the CALMINI HEAVY DUTY REPLACEMENT STEERING SYSTEM does away with the centerlink and has beefed up pitman and idler arms.

Does anyone have any feedback for me on the two different setups? I knoticed that the calmini one addresses the bumpsteer problem, and they provide upgraded tierods.

Based on '88's experience, it sounds like the L&P are perfectly adequate for even relatively hard off road use.. I haven't heard anything bad about them at all...

But being an enginerd, I have to say I am impressed by CalMini's design and execution. Sure, it may be complete overkill for how I use my Pathy, but I love seeing good design and am willing pay the extra $$$ for it.

And to be technically accurate, CalMini doesn't really do away with the centerlink, they just replace the factory link with their replacement centerlink that is slightly modified in design and beefed up.

It's up to you whether they are worth the extra bucks to you!

The L&P centerlink with my own custom gusseted pitman and idler arms (pay $150 for two chunks of steel welded on from L&P are you freakin' kiddin me?!) has been on my truck for a few months and some fairly heavy off wheeling trips. So far it's great, and I love the fact that if it indeed does wear out, bearings and bolts are cheap to replace from your local fastener/bearing place. I seemed to have really really lucked out on the turnaround time for my centerlink, but I personally know people that had their truck on jackstands for more than a month being jerked around by L&P.

Calmini is a slick setup but every single person that I know that actually uses it off road has had major issues with their idler arm bearings wearing out at an alarming rate. Again Calmini customer support leaves a lot to be desired, many of my friends are getting very very upset by the lack of communication and in a few cases, blatantly false statements and lies about the durability of their product.

You hit the nail on the head with that reply. I was wondering if L&P does anything special to the CL that a pro welder couldn't do.(I'm not knocking those guys, I'm just not into spending $$$ on something I can probly do myself.) One of my main concerns with the beefed up CL in that it does nuthing for the tierods. I could easily carry spares, but I'd rather have the best of the best, and if I could build a setup myself it would be soooo much cheaper. I'd just need to get my hands on so accurate measurements.

Well.. they actually weld on two machined steel collars with 4 spherical bearings pressed in. Not only you'd have to find a welder, but most likely a machine shop to do equivalent job on the centerlink.

I was referring to the idler and pitman arms upgrades that i thought were a tad too expensive at $75 each.

My friend just got the proper Spencer Low Racing steering upgrade for his Xterra and that looks like the cat's ass. I can't stress how amazed I am by the high quality of service and worksmanship that they provided.

They even sent him a free idler arm brace as the first one they sent him was for a truck with a factory tow hook. They also sent him the entire system OVERNIGHT to Canada.

It's a shame they don't do much for the WD21s.

Edited by Filthy Luker

Calmini Steering Systems are on Back order. And they do not tell you that when you order them. They also delayed the delivery of the other items I order.

At this Point I have been dealing with one of the Sales Manager. Being in Sales kinda helps to motivate them to move.

I just ordered an idler arm bracket from L&P so that counts out the calmini setup since it's not compatable. I'll be getting the CL upgrade sooner than later.

Seems like everything is on backorder with those guys at calmini.

Thanks for the info everyone.

I just finished tearing out my centerlink tonight... PITA! Here's a tip though, make a little spacer out of a chunk of pipe jack up on the CL close to the end....just a little bit... loosen the nut but don't take it off... tap on the arm with a hammer and pop! Just like doing a steering wheel. I just cut my inner tie rod ends with a grinder and zip disk because I'm going to replace anyways... broke lock nuts first.

Just in case someone's doing their first one. Or if you don't care about the BJ boots just slam'em off with a pickle fork.

Yeah I'm just going to whip up a L&P style CL... I've got access to Machinists who owe me at work, and I'm a welder by trade. Hah!

I going to whip up something else as well.... I think you could easily just piggy back some 3/4" T1 plate on a 4140 1" shaft and be as strong or stronger than stock. I'm going to weld one up and put it in the press and see what she'll take. Who knows maybe I'll get ambitous and make a new idler arm while I'm at it. :) I don't think I'll bother with the P-arm... looks pretty sturdy to me.

Anyways,.. will update... I'm right in the middle of building a deck, and putting a crane truck together at work right now, so it may take a bit to get some puppy making time.

Take Care,

Clay