Rancho RS9000x / RSX adjusting shocks

97SE

Looking at a set of RS9000x 9-position adjustables.

1.) Does it make sense to get adjustable rear shocks if the front is non-adjustable struts?

2.) What are the opinions of the shocks from current/past Rancho owners?

3.) Should I go with the 9000 or maybe the RSX self-adjusting?

Edited by 97SE

1) Yes

2)I've only changed the dial on my 9000x's a handful of times. When i first got them, I wanted to check out how each level 1-9 felt...9 is no fun...its bone jarring...and 1 is too soft...I've always kept it at 3 and if I have a big load, I'll kick it up a notch...but I've never found myself needing to go over 4.

3)I don't know about the RSX's... :shrug:

For me, I love the adjustability. On the trail I "empty" (lowest setting) the shocks. On the road I'm bumped up to 9 on the front and about 7-8 on the rear depending on the load I'm carrying. 99% I'm carrying tons of spare parts and tools so I'm usually setting the rears based on the type of road surface. Even with the settings on 9, I'm still rocking and rolling.

Keep in mind, I sit up high with no sway bars and a very, very soft suspension. I need to put on my swaybars...guess that will be a next year project.

DJ also reflects what others have said - settings around 3-4. RSX, no experience.

TrailMaster offers a 4" for a Pathy but in my opinion it might be too much. They mention at Thorley Headers that if your sporting a 4" lift you cant fit the headers in so my guess is that it probably makes a few sacrifices on future upgrades. The Rancho's are supposed to offer a 2 1/2 inch lift or so the offer states. But from what I read, throw in some Front Coil Springs from a JGC (yrs 93-97) in the rear of your Pathy and make it up to 3". In the rear anyways :P

Dowser

I have 9000's on my tow van. We put RSX's on my nephews Cherokee. Both are fine shocks. Not spectacular by any means, but far better than most of the crap shocks available for cars/trucks (as compared to motorcycle shocks!). In both cases, they were way better than what the vehicles' previous owners had installed.

Which is better for you? I'd say it depends on whether you want to/are willing to adjust your shocks, and how much your loading varies. Or if you are filthy rich, go with the 9000's with the remote adjusters...

If you're not willing to crawl around on your knees and twiddle the knobs, definitely go RSX. They turned out to be a great all around compromise for roads and trails in the Cherokee. MUCH more plush on the highway than the el cheapo "off road" shocks it had (so harsh your teeth would rattle running over a dime in the street!) yet still always in full control.

If you are willing to get dirty, the flexibility of the 9000's is very nice - especially if you sometimes carry heavy-ish loads. I love them in our tow van. Setting 3 is comfortable when empty, yet 7 or 8 will keep everything in control with the trailer hooked up and 1000+ pounds of toys in the back. But you do need to adjust them whenever conditions change or put up with slightly compromised handling or comfort. The design of the RSX allows it to "adapt" to varying conditions better than the 9000.

Oh, and on question 1: Absolutely!

I will probably put RSX's on the front of the tow van as the load on the front varies only a fraction of the rear. Loading up adds well over 1500 lbs of load to the rear axle, only about 500 lbs to the front (and that is only because I use weight distributing bars on the trailer).

In your pathy, the front suspension load will vary even less.

OK, here's the update...I'm getting the RS9000x for the rears, but his RSX struts came from a 2004SE and they won't fit my 97 according to AC. I'll report back with comments once installed.