Steev-o

Guest thorsen

Steev-o,

I always encourage those with limited automotive repair skills to get their hands dirty, and I applaude a 'can-do' attitude, but only a fool rushes in where angels fear to tread.

Converting a 2wd Pathy to 4wd is a difficult project, and if the vehicle you are modifying is your only transportation, you are really jamming yourself between a rock and a hard place.

I grabbed my Chilton's Pathfinder manual and started leafing through the engine section, comparing the 2wd diagrams to the 4wd diagrams.

Did you know that you are going to have to change oil pans? The 4wd model is clearanced for the front axle, which the 2wd pan has no such worries. (Chiltons's page 3-102). I think you have to pull, or at least lift the engine to swap oil pans.

The rear transmission mount crossbar is different between the two models, and attaches to the vehicle in a different way. (Chiltons page 3-37)

Of course the transmissions between the two are completly different. You're not going to easily swap the rear ends of the transmissions (and not screw something up). Chilton's page 7-9, 7-11.

Finally, for the major issue I think you're going to have, it looks like there may not be a way to even mount the front differential in your Pathfinder. In looking at the pictures/diagrams in the Chilton and Haynes manuals, there are brackets on the 4wd model that do not appear to be welded in place on the 2wd model.

Also, if the differentials have different ratios, you just made a very expensive mistake.

If you really want a 4wd Pathfinder, sell the 2wd you have now (before you hack it up) and buy one. It's still going to be cheaper than the way you're going now.

At the very least, try repacking your front wheel bearings before you tackle this project. To be honest, it does not sound like you have much mechanical experience, and you're trying to hit a grand slam in your first at bat. Also, buy both manuals and read them from cover to cover. Not to mention that your research on this has been on the weak side.

Just my $.02

Let us know how it goes.

Please look at the Haynes manual, page 11-5 (all 2wd models) and page 11-6 (all 4wd models).

The front suspension is different between the two. On the 2wd model, the shock goes right where the CV axle would pass. There's no way you could make it 4wd.

Plus, the 4wd knuckles would not fit the 2wd control arms. On the 2wd, the bottom ball joint goes up through the knuckle. On the 4wd, the ball joint goes down through the knuckle.

You might be able to physically mount the 4wd control arms, but you would have issues with the torsion bars (they are different between the 2wd and 4wd models. If you were succesful, you would have no where to mount the shock absorber (the 4wd shock mounts about 5" aft of where the 2wd shock would be.

wow, but good advice.. interesting though, is the fact that the poster has this only one post..

I sold my Pathfinder last year, bought an ML320. I bought my 1995 Pathfinder in 1997, sold it in 2004 with 175,000 miles on it. The only time it went to the shop was when the fuel pump bought the farm on a cold Chicago January morning. I did all the work (including rebuilding the front end) myself. I have been using this site since before they went to ipbhost.com - back in the days when Mr. Jim was an every day feature and the messages were all on his site. I haven't been here in a while and forgot what my old ID is.

I got bored at work this week and starting reading the Steev-0 2wd -> 4wd thread and thought I would speak up before he got too far.

Dont you think you are being a bit critical ??? :D JK

You make some very valid points. In an earlier thread people basically said the same thing without as much detail. I know of no one who has converted a 2x4 Pathy into a 4x4 while keeping it 'stock', but then I'm not an expert. Considering Steev-o is still in research mode, I figure he'll come across these issues 1 at a time and incorporate them into a final decision. :shrug:

Sometimes people have to teach themselves. Thanks for the good post.

B

Congratulations SteevO! You've been here for like a month and already have a thread named after yourself. I've been here for something like a year and I haven't gotten that yet!

I'm thinking the only reason you would do this converting business would be for the sentimental value of your particular Pathfinder. It better be a very high sentimental value too. Honestly, with as much money as you would need to spend and the efforts you will have to go through I regretfully would suggest starting fresh on a 4x4 Pathfinder. Maybe you could switch body panel so the 4x4 looks like you old one!

ok understand what u are saying but...the chiltons manual is wrong....alot of it is wrong.. when i work in my pathy i have to go by the 4wd model descriptions..

my 2wd pathy is nothing like the 2wd pictures and teh direction do not make any sense when following teh 2wd directions...

the transmissions.. they are exactly the same

i got the VINs of the 2 vehicles and compared everything about the trannys at the dealer...they have all exact same part numbers. same gears and shafts and all...

the rear difF has the EXACT same gearset as the 4WD XE parts pathy

my oil pan is the same as the 4WD models oil pan..

i have a '90 XE 2WD

and i am pulling parts from a '92 XE 4WD

my torsin bars are mounted EXACTLY the same as teh 4WD XE

infact i have the Sway-A-Way torsions in there right now

my tranny mounts the same and is the same.. i have atleast 15 pages of pictures and part numbers from the dealer that all match up...

i know alot of you are thinking that is would be easer to do a SAS but since my pathy is soo much like the 4WD i only will have to get 2 lil brackets welded on the frame to hold the cross member that holds the front diff. it's eight 4" welds.. everything else is bolt on..

i can take pics and scan documentation from the dealer to try to convince u all ...

but all i really wanted was ?'s answered.. i'm not getting frustrated with this project at all because all the numbers are matching up and digrams all look like they are in my favor.. however the thing that is getting me frutrated is the people that are telling me it's more work than it's worth.. if u could see my pathy next to a 4WD XE you would agree with me.. however this is all over the internet and if i really wanted to convice you i would post pics.. and will uppon request...

i have compared nearly every part involved w/ 4WD and i am getting ready to tear into this project in about 3 weeks...

and all i wanted was some help and a little support from this incredible forum.. this is a great source of information.. but please dont' shoot me down.. try to work with me here .. i think i have been pretty clear on what I AM GOING TO DO.. and when i have a question i'm gonna ask.. and if you happen to know teh answer please let me know the answer

although u have all looked at the pictures in the (non-factory) service manuals and have been convinced by papper that they are different... for some reason i have managed to own a pathfinder that is Exactly the same as a 4WD pathy but W/O the 4WD

i though i thought i would hit a bump like u all are expecting me to.. i havn't!! I have matched everything up and the only thing i am trying to figure out now is something pretty irrelivant.. the lil light that says u are in 4WD ...

Thnx

->SteeevO

I hear what you're saying.

I take it our Indo mate didn't get back to you. Shame if he didn't. That would have been a world of info for all of us.

A suggestion for you Steve if I may. If you are going to go with the standard Pathy 4wd front end, drop the front diff brackets by the same amount you want to suspension lift. eg. If you want to raise the Pathy 3 inches drop the diff mounts by that amout. This would save you money by not having to super strengthen your steering setup. That's my thoughts anyway.

Bravo Steeevo for traveling where others fear to tread! You're taking the "Pathfinder" spirit to heart, so screw all the naysayers and find your own path!

If you didn't already have another 4x4 pathy I would have suggested the SAS too, but if you'v already got the parts well than go for it! And as for the 4x4 light, you don't need no stinkin light! A lot of the 4x4 model peeps here have broken 4x4 lights, including me. Mine doesn't come on until I'v been in 4 hi for a good 50 feet.

thank you soo much for understanding where i an comming from now!..

Vsicks Pathy..since i do need to weld those brackets for the front diff...why would lowering those brackets 3" make a difference with the steering? i mean won't all the steering components be at the same angle regardless? or am i missing something here?..please explain..

beacause i am planning on doing the 3" calmini springs and UCAs at teh same time..

and as for the SAS... i'm only 19..going on 20 here pretty soon.. i have lots of life ahead of me...since i'm doing this at 19 yrs old...just imagine what i be up to in a few more years!!!... .. in another few years after i'm done w/ college... i'm gonna do the SAS ... hopefully calmini will get in gear and start producing those kits!!

but untill then i'm sure i will have lots of fun with the nissan 4WD

but the SAS is in the plan for the Future.. don't worry.. even if calmnini doens't end up producing kits.. i'll just need another car to use while it's outta commision.... after i'm no longer pinching pennys and i'm outta college :D

and here are a few pics.. it's was a dark but here is an idea of what i'm talking about...

Wide view...underneath...note the OIL PAN!! and Compression Rod!!!! also note teh sway away torsions!( i know it's kinda dark)

Behind the spindle... i know i need the 4WD spindles..

4WD Lower Arm...w/offset shock!!

so thats my story... i'm gonna git'er done!!

and yes this pathy has a substatial amount of sentimental value to me..

and again thanks to all who understand what i am trying to do here... cause it really does make sense once u get underneatha nd take a look.. even the way my torsion bars are tightend in teh cross member.. it's like the 4WD in the center of teh cross member.. not mounted to the side like in the chiltons manual...

thnx

-SteeevO :D

thank you soo much for understanding where i an comming from now!..

Vsicks Pathy..since i do need to weld those brackets for the front diff...why would lowering those brackets 3" make a difference with the steering? i mean won't all the steering components be at the same angle regardless? or am i missing something here?..please explain..

-SteeevO :D

This lift is, in my opinion, the best you can get. Read it and see what you think.

http://www.rockymountainsusp.com/nissan_early.htm

I think most people have tried to be helpful after trying to warn you off (maybe just to see if you are serious).

i can take pics and scan documentation from the dealer to try to convince u all ...

You have the truck in front of you and can tell whats up... No need for convincing here. Keep the questions coming and we'll try to answer. We are all learning something. ;) Good luck.

B

thnx, i have another ?...i now the neutral switch is there but what the heck does it do ...it shows in the schematics that it connects to the fuel pump.. but the pump runs even if i'm not in neutral when i turn the key...

the last thing i need to do for this whole project is verify the spindels are teh right ones .. then i'm ready to tear in to it..but not going to till vacation...in about 3 weeks...

->SteeevO

thnx, i have another ?...i now the neutral switch is there but what the heck does it do ...it shows in the schematics that it connects to the fuel pump.. but the pump runs even if i'm not in neutral when i turn the key...

the last thing i need to do for this whole project is verify the spindels are teh right ones .. then i'm ready to tear in to it..but not going to till vacation...in about 3 weeks...

->SteeevO

i didn't look at the schematic but i doubt it goes to the fuel pump.. look again but my guess is that it goes to the ignition or the ecu or some place like that..