2WD->4WD Conversion: Differential Identification..

SteeevO

i found another pathy that has paint peeling and all kinds of little things here and there make it look like crap BUT...the 4WD is all in tact...i'm going to switch out the 4wd and put it in my 2WD SE.. but i don't know what diff it has or what one i have..is there an easy way to tell? is it stamped on the case somewhere?

i went to the dealer and gave them both VINs and told them to pull up both diffs in the computer.. they came up different but they cannot tell me model numbers...only part numbers..

going by the pics .. it shows that the 4WD diff has a LSD and does not show one in the pic for my diff.. but i know i have LSD

also they said the one for the 4WD has an EAL Sensor... does anyone have any idea what the heck that does ...do i need it for when i do the 2WD->4WD Conversion?

what i would really like to do is keep my rear diff the same and just add in the front diff..can i use my original differential with the one piece driveshaft?

or do i need to swap them out so the driveshaft will fit right?

and how would i determine what the ratio is??... when i went to the dealer i also asked them for both gearset part #s and they are the same in both..so i am assuming they are teh same ratio...could i be wrong? cause i know i need the same ratio in both diffs...

thnx

->Steven

Edited by SteeevO

i found another pathy that has paint peeling and all kinds of little things here and there make it look like crap BUT...the 4WD is all in tact...i'm going to switch out the 4wd and put it in my 2WD SE.. but i don't know what diff it has or what one i have..is there an easy way to tell? is it stamped on the case somewhere?

i went to the dealer and gave them both VINs and told them to pull up both diffs in the computer.. they came up different but they cannot tell me model numbers...only part numbers..

going by the pics .. it shows that the 4WD diff has a LSD and does not show one in the pic for my diff.. but i know i have LSD

also they said the one for the 4WD has an EAL Sensor... does anyone have any idea what the heck that does ...do i need it for when i do the 2WD->4WD Conversion?

what i would really like to do is keep my rear diff the same and just add in the front diff..can i use my original differential with the one piece driveshaft?

or do i need to swap them out so the driveshaft will fit right?

and how would i determine what the ratio is??... when i went to the dealer i also asked them for both gearset part #s and they are the same in both..so i am assuming they are teh same ratio...could i be wrong? cause i know i need the same ratio in both diffs...

thnx

->Steven

In that case swap the bodies over. Oh, and as MZ said??

though i might be putting too much into on thread so i split it up.. srry won't do it again..

body swap...nope...

for some reason it's seems more clean cut with what i have to do to swap out parts.. there are alot of factors that go into Y i am doing it the way i am.. not to mention the steep learning curve.. i'm knowledge hungry...(note: i'm not doing this alone.. my dad has been working on cars since he was born.. he's gonna help me out...)

though i might be putting too much into on thread so i split it up.. srry won't do it again..

body swap...nope...

for some reason it's seems more clean cut with what i have to do to swap out parts.. there are alot of factors that go into Y i am doing it the way i am.. not to mention the steep learning curve.. i'm knowledge hungry...(note: i'm not doing this alone.. my dad has been working on cars since he was born.. he's gonna help me out...)

Good luck with it then.

No worries about the two different posts. I can see why you split them. Thats fine as long as you dont do a whole bunch like that at the same time. You can obviously just put out a general cry for help and list items, but I know that they tend to polarise. Thats why it's no biggie when in moderation. ;)

B

Usualy there's descriptions of components, with pictures. It might take a little intuition, but if you look at em long enough, you can see the differences in their outter appearance, and help you identify which is which. As far as specific application goes, I'm not too sure about that.