Grinding noise coming from the front axle

QuismO

hello everyone, i'm hoping that someone can help me with this. i was referred to this site from someone on automotiveforums.com, as i have a 1997 qx4. i'm extremely cautious about going to the shop for help without some knowledge due to bad past experiences...so i'd like to go to the shop with some knowledge as to what's wrong with my vehicle...to lessen my chances of getting shafted.

as for my vehicle, it is a 1997 infiniti qx4 with 4wd and the 3.3L v6 motor (i believe that this is the VG33E?...not sure). it is practically a nissan pathfinder, just with an infiniti emblem on it.

now the problem, whenever i turn the switch to 4wd, and turn to the right or left until the steering wheel locks, and drive, i hear this grinding noise from both ends of the front axle, left and right. i have no idea as to what can be happening...i purchased this vehicle a little under a year ago, so i became aware of the problem while testing out the 4wd system so that i can feel safe while driving in the snow for this upcoming snowboarding season. it only happens in 4wd, and i push on the gas, while the steering wheel is fully turned. NEVER happens in 2wd, which is when the drive wheels are the rear wheels.

please enlighten me...thanks a bunch in advance!

quissy

The problem you're describing is caused by drivetrain binding and/or tires scrubbing on the pavement. Your 4WD is operating as designed. In 4WD, all wheels attempt to rotate at the same speed. In tight turns such as what you're describing, all 4 wheels need to rotate at different speeds because they're all traversing different arcs in a circle. 4WD is preventing this, so the drivetrain starts to bind. When drivetrain binding exceeds tire traction, the tire starts to scrub.

Do not use 4WD except on low-traction surfaces where the tires can "slip". (FYI- wet pavement is not a low-traction surface.) Test 4WD only on dirt, gravel, sand, etc. Repeated use of 4WD on high-traction surfaces will at best shorten tire life, and at the worst break a drivetrain component.

Edited by XPLORx4

hey xplor, thanks, that's probably the best reply yet. i checked out the cv boots and the components behind the wheel, everything seems fne, not even a slight sign of dry rot on the boot...so i guess maybe there isn't a problem. i'll just wait and see.

quissy