For those transmission experts

vidro

Tranny's out!!!

I have finally got the tranny out of the vehicle.

located a used tranny at a junk yard. When I went to check it out, the owner said it's out of a 92 which shouldn't be a problem but his database shows that only 93 to 96 are interchangeable on the 2 wheel drives, but 89 to 95 are interchangeable on the 4 wheel drives.

Is his database messed up or is there some legitimate reason that it would show this?

The tranny also has over 170,000 miles it's the only one I have been able to locate in this town, but boy that's a lot of miles.

How much should I consider paying for one with this much ware and tear?

Hmm, I have to question that 88. The TSB

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=2621

states that it is for the 87ish-95 (w)d21s 4x4 only. While they do list an updated (fixed) tranny case #, the TSB date is 1997 at the earliest that is shown, implying the problem was not realised/addressed until after the trannys had stopped being put into the Pathys.

I understand from reading that the 4x4 tranny can be used in a 2x4 vehicle, for a 95XE (thats what you have, right vidro?) 2x4 the tranny fluid is 5.1 pints and the 4x4 7.75 pints which to me means that they are totally different animals, not to mention a different drive shaft.

I think you can swap in a 4x4 tranny from 89-95 (drive shaft included) but if you are buying a 2x4 tranny, it may have to be 93-96 only. :shrug: Sorry if thats not much help, but not many people know everything about swapping d21 and wd21 trannies from all years and 2x4 to 4x4. I hope that makes some sense.

170k mile tranny should be cheap but wait to make sure it is right... I don't know where you are located so $300 ish ? Dicker with the guy and point out you have no idea of the condition and thats a lot of miles. You may be able to find a 4x4 tranny with TC and drive shaft cheaper or in better condition as they are much more common. Keep looking.

B

From what I understand, you can get a 4x4 tranny (with transfer case or there will be a hole to cover) and drive shaft (apparently they are different) which should bolt up the same to the motor and differential. I only brought that up because you couldn't find 2x4 tranny's which are rare for Pathfinders.

Some one correct me/slap me down if this is wrong, but from what I have read, it will work. I have not done it myself. Where are you located vidro ?

B

I'm in Abilene Texas,

So far I have only found that 1 tranny from the 92 Pathfinder with over 170,000.

I have not checked ALL the yards around here but I have check the ones with the best reputations and the ones that I have worked with before.

Thanks a bunch Underdog, I'll try those and let you know what happens.

I'd driver over to Big D or FW if the gas prices didn't make it so dang cost prohibitive.

I had figured any tranny I had to go out of Abilene for I would need to add another 100 bucks just for shipping. I have this stigma about paying extra for some thing that is not tangible.

At this point , without calling those numbers that you have suggested, I'm getting this "that damn if I do or damned if I don't", kind of feeling in this situation.

This is in reference to the following thought;

The used trannies that I have been able to locate are about 200 to 300 dollars less than getting a tranny rebuilt.

So there's the buy used with 90,000 plus miles or pay more and get the rebuilds.

After reading more postings, my interpretation on Pathie trannies is they seem to only last on average around 150 - 200 thousand miles. That should be another 4 or 5 years plus of drive time but heck I don't know.

The vehicle that this, the original tranny, came out of has over 220,000 miles.

Edited by vidro

Manual trannys fail generally by one of two means. 1) abuse- just trying to get it to do something it was not designed for. Typically towing a load that is too heavy or jamming the gears between 1st and reverse. Yes usually you tear out the clutch, but gear damage also happens. 2) Wrong oil/too little oil/dirty oil. These gears do not use GL-5 They need a lube that is designed for max contact of gear teeth and not a sliding action. Usually GL-4 is ok. But there are better people here than me on lubes for 5 speeds. You have to keep it clean in other words it is a maintenance item.

I have not ever seen heat a problem for a 5 speed, but I do learn new things.

So most of these 5 speed failures you are refering to are probably lube related. Yes I know that sometimes S%^& happens. Properly maintained and not abused a 5 speed should go 1,000,000 miles.

Comments from the floor :confused:

Can't say anything to support, or discredit the 1,000,000 mile comment, but I know I killed mine by running GL-5 in it. That was before I knew any better, and have been told of extremely high mileage 5 speeds that have never had the fluid changed. While I don't agree with that stance, I think even dirty old GL-4 is better than new, clean GL-5.

I'll be changing mine regularly with GL-4 and hoping for a lot of worry free miles.

One more time just to clarify it to myself and bounce it off you veterance with the experiance.

It seems that the junk yards I have spoke to state that if this PathFinder was any thing but a 2X4, 5 speed manual, I would be able to swap with the pick up trucks from the years 88-95. BUT since it is a 2x4 I'm stuck with the years 93-96 and only a Pathfinder tranny will work.

Stepping back a bit, I have to ask why?

I have heard that a 4x4 tranny could work, this sounds like and atractive solution if it was certain that all that would need to happen would be to change the rear housing and I could still use all my original parts.

I'm getting SO CONFUSED!!

Hey Vidro, Just so you have an idea on prices, if you give up trying to find a used tranny and rebuild: In June I had to replace 1,3,&5 gears (plus all the bearings and clips that you would expect) on my 91 4x4 and it cost me $1600. Got most of the parts from the dealership.