4wd tranny

mudfinder

my tranny is going out on me again. i guess i beat it up too much anyway, instead of rebuilding it, (i have already had it rebuild about a year or two ago) i want to get a 4wd tranny. can i slap it on with out the tcase until i get one or do i need a tcase? as everyone knows, i'm 2wd. i want to make it 4x4, i dont' want to get another 2wd tranny because i'm going to making mine 4wd with a solid diff, i don't want to spend that xtra money on buying a 2wd tranny and then taking it out for a 4wd. so again my question is can i just leave the 4wd tranny with out the tcase and front end until i do so? or do i need all that too? or tcase w/ out front end.

Well, I'd put in a 4x4 tranny with transfer case and no drive line, just don't shift that lever... Also, look for a donor vehicle so you have it all and don't have to hunt and peck for parts. Most of it is covered here...

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=5529

B

does anyone have a picture of the undercarriage of a path? do i need brackets of any kinda? cross members? anything else besides the tranny/tcase? or will it just sit in there?

drive shaft, i'll be needing a new one right?

how easy is it to remove and install?

then you'd have 2LO! Woohoo!

Hmm, didn't think of that, and with your locker it would be good !

drive shaft, i'll be needing a new one right?

I THINK your rear would be the same; it removes easy by unbolting a universal joint and sliding out/off of the seal/spline shaft. I don't remember seeing any bracketry other than the 2 bolt tranny mount in the center of the cross member. I don't see why it would be any different, but thats not gospel. I know I took some picts when I replaced my clutch. If I cant find them tomorrow, I'll take some more if you need it. The front is offset to the drivers side and totally seperate.

B

The front is offset to the drivers side and totally seperate.

what do you mean by offset?

but yeah, if you can take a pic, that's if it's not a problem that would be real cool. thanks a lot.

i found some 4wd trannys and tcase on ebay. the tranny is $895 and tcase $99. think it's worth getting or get one from the junk yard?. when i rebuilt mine it cost $1400!!. if i would of known then, it would of been cheaper to get the 4wd.

hey, thanx 88. the cross member that comes right in front of the cross member that holds the tbars (on 4wd, the tcase is right in the middle of the two), is that the same as mine or do i need to change mine? i checked out mine and i have that cross member too. i have the hyanes books and it looks just a tad different on the 4wd. so from what i see here, i may need a new cross member, tranny, tcase. also in the book, there is what looks like to be a skid plate? it located right under where the tranny starts from the engine. the engine oil pan is right in front of it. it has two holes and three boths right under the front diff and drive shaft.

do you guys know if all the tranny mounts are the same as 4wd and 2wd?

also, i found a tranny and tcase on ebay, think it's worth getting? the tranny is $825 and tcase $100.

Sorry, but the only input I have is from a Chiltons manual that covers 98-95 PU and Pathys. They state no difference, but that doesn't mean much. I don't know if there is a difference... Have you tried looking at the online manual PDF format ?

B

I blew apart my transmission a few months ago. The planetary gears decided to explode. Fun stuff I tell ya... Definitely attracts attention creeping to my mechanic in 2nd gear making noises of hell and shaking the floorboard.

I went to one of those JDM engine importing places, and picked up a low mileage (they claimed 40K miles) tranny complete with a t-case for $500CDN/$400US(they wanted more but those places are usually flexible on $$$). They gave me 90 day warranty.

My mechanic installed it for $500CDN/$400US, and that included replacing the rear main, and an oil pressure sensor. It's a major job so unless you have a proper transmission lift and air tools you don't want to do it yourself. Consider this a fair warning.

On the way home from the shop, everthing was running fine, but then I heard a huge loud bang, the thing downshifted to 3rd and stayed there. Yep... planetary gears exploded AGAIN. So it was turning around time... creeping in 3rd this time, with huge rumbling coming from underneath the truck. I had a sense of humor failue for about a week. Don't go there.

What ended up happening is that my buddy did a rebuild on the original tranny from my truck. He charged me $1000CDN/$800US which is basically cost on the rebuild parts from Nissan (planetary gears/torque converter/bands/seals/etc...)

He also installed it again for free (god I love my mechanic) because he felt bad even though it wasn't his fault.

I ended up taking the JDM tranny back to the JDM place, they put up a fight but I forced them to take it back and give me most of my cash back.. There was some BS about restocking fees... but I had the last laugh as i kept the transfer case for peanuts as during the ordeal it got separated from the tranny... I ended up paying for the t-case only $75.

Anywho.. i know it's a long read, but if you want it done right, and you love your Pathy, I highly recommend getting a rebuilt transmission. It sure cost's a bundle, but at least you won't be listening to every shift it makes like it was going to be the last shift it's gonna make. While shopping around I found fully rebuilt transmissions for $1600CDN and that included a new external tranny cooler.

I recommend calling your Nissan dealers and talking to the service managers and mechanics. They usually outsource jobs like this, so they will be able to point you to a proper shop.

Anywho.... also get another tranny cooler. You're not supposed to use the stock cooler once you have a tranny let go on ya.

Filthy Luker, your story is very similar to mine, if you look into this section under the thread "tranny's blues from Mexico" you will find how similar our stories are.

I am still looking for a decent tranny but this time for about $25 I purchased on e-bay a CD with the "Nissan Pathfinder Electronic Service Manual" and it gives you step by step instructions of how to disassemble and reassemble the whole thing, plus diagrams with all the part numbers and the torque specifications. I will print the whole section and this time I am planning to help my mechanic with the reconstruction paying special attention to the pump that according to Igranch may be the culprit.

WAVEY