XM Radio

Matthew

I just bought an XM SkiFi 2 radio, and already have it attached into the car and everything, but I was wondering if anyone here has run the antenna onto the roof. I am not really sure how to run the antenna through the dash and onto the roof. If anyone has an opinion, I would greatly appreciate it.

I ran my antenna behind the glove box up the a-pillar and out onto the roof. It works great just make sure you have like a 1 ft square of flat metal around the antenna for best reception.

Aaron

Edited by Airrun2002

I ran my antenna through the rear hatch and under the black foam gutter lining(I'm at a loss for words for what its called...I can't remember...LOL) and into the rear and ran in under the carpet etc...to the front. Used the same plastic wire loom for my amp wires.

post-1-1123026897.jpg

One thing to keep in mind - This is a very high frequency signal and the miniature coaxial cable inside that umbilical to the antenna is extremely precise and rather delicate.

For best results, use extreme care to not pinch the cable - even minor crushing of the dielectric can cause serious signal degradation. Since it is a digital signal, damage does not result in hissing or anything like that - it just increases the rate of "lost signal".

I'd be willing to guess the vast majority of complaints about "loss of signal" problems from satellite radio users is self induced. I see a lot of kinks/pinches/knots in the cables that just make me cringe. Something as simple as getting a knot in the wire and tugging it can induce enough damage to result in 50% attenuation... Do not cram it in slots with hard objects, do not install it someplace where it could get squished.

Oh, if you need to know why my recommendation might have some validity:

I design, specify, and build ultra-high frequency controlled impedance cables for the semiconductor industry. I handle this stuff every day.

We have even built some cables for XM Radio to test their equipment!

And I LOVE my XM Radio!

Edited by mws

I ran mine up the drivers side A pillar and under the plastic piece that runs above the doors then to the back hatch and through the rubber gromet that the third brake light wiring runs through then I mounted the antenna on the flat back part of the roof like DJ.

I also did away with the cigarette lighter plug and hard wired it in. Nice and clean!

608180_44.jpg