pathfinder front end noise

Guest pathfindermike

Guest pathfindermike

I have a 2001 pathfinder and it is making a clunk, thud, pop or whatever you want to call it from the front end. I notice it the most when I am backing out of the garage or parking spot. I've read that it's the swaybar links (antiswaybar endlinks). Seems to happen the most when braking and backing out though. Does the vehicle need to be jacked up before I can check components for play? Can i drive with something disconnected to narrow it down. Does anyone recommend checking other components and how? Thanks alot. Michael

Don't ever drive with anything disconnected! Everything underneath is there for a reason....Check all the rubber bushings for the lower control arm, and the sway bar end links. (Sway Bar end links/Stabalizer Links, i think Runnerman and I are saying the same thing)

And NO you do not have to have the car jacked up to check for loose or worn items....although you might want to check everything with it jacked up and when its at ride height.....

Also check the lug nuts on the rims for tightness....have you recently had any work done to the tires, brakes, or suspension?

Let us know whay you find...

Guest pathfindermike

The swaybar endlinks appear to be fine. The only movement they have is a rotation which I think they're suppose to anyway. The rubber bushings looked fine on the control arms. It is wierd though, it only makes the noise when the brakes are applied. If I sit in the driveway and turn the wheel it will not make the noise, then if I put my foot on the brake and turn the wheel it makes the noise.

Mine is making same sort of noise, but only when backing up, never heard while braking. It is going in for a service on Thursday, I will ask them to look and will post results back here.

Guest pathfindermike

The bolts holding the calipers on are allen heads? I looked and they were normal hex bolts. These bolts were tight if thats what you were talking about. Strut mounting bolts- how many are there? Where on the strut?