Homemade snorkel

FLApathy

has anybody ever made a snorkel for there pathy, i want to make one because for some reason im scared to death that water will find its way into my engine blowing it into the next ice age, here is what i was thinking...

taking some 3 inch or 2 1/2 inch pvc pipe hooking and sealing it to the airbox hole and pipeing it up the a post and leaving the air filter and airbox there but when i get to the top of the snorkel how do i make it get the most amount of air while keeping water out, like rain water i dont want it to just rain inside of it, ive heard of using a weather head, and another qeustion i have is will it starve the engine of air and make it work to hard to get it, dont think ive not done research ive search the forums and the web and i founfd a site with it done to a pathy but the pics would not download so i was a little skeptical

Look at the diameter of your stock intake into the air box... Thats the minimum desired diameter (I'd go a little larger). As for the head, I don't know... It actually will function somewhat like a cold air intake, boosting performance slightly. Someone here made one like you mentioned and it wasn't half bad. They'll chime in, but try search first, I'm sure it's findable... ;)

B

V6, before you offered to import snorkels rather than have people do hack jobs. I'm curious, what can you easily get, for how much, and what currency/where would you ship from ? I want a snorkel, and would like something to compare to..

Sorry about the pain, but you are doing soo well !! :P

B

Well... despite the fact that my last one turned into a WAR- I will add to the homemade snorkel with a review over the last few months.

As for 'wheeling in the swamps of SE Georgia the thing worked perfectly. I got a lot of comments from people. A few were like those of "VSicks" and many were enthusiastic and a few people just didn't even know what it was, "Is that your exhaust?" Heehee!

I have since moved the 'fam back to Utah. I was there for a month before I had to leave for Korea and still enjoyed the benefits of having a waterproof system both in the mountains and in Moab.

Things to look out for:

-Use 3" ABS pipe- pvc is crap of course

-for the hole you cut be sure to prep and paint it before adding hardware

-Use a peice of rubber fitting and Custom fit it around the pipe leaving the fender to insulate the metal and keep it looking clean.

- If you find that you hate the extra attention it will bring (and it WILL bring attention to you) or the "devaluation of your rig" (heehee!!) just take it off and put a big 4x4 club sticker over the hole. Yeah!!!

V6, before you offered to import snorkels rather than have people do hack jobs. I'm curious, what can you easily get, for how much, and what currency/where would you ship from ? I want a snorkel, and would like something to compare to..

Sorry about the pain, but you are doing soo well !! :P

B

Do you want the price on a safari (same as SW) or and air flow (same as mine)? The safari is a goose neck type as opposed to my top hat type.

http://www.4by4connection.com/nissan3.html

$301 plus shipping

Also by ARB for 92' thru95'

http://www.rocky-road.com/pathfinder.html

$269

That's why I made my own!!! I like the look of mine too!!!

Do they have sunshine or pretty girls in OZ? Cheer up!

Having the highest rate of skin cancer in the world should answer one half of your question. As for the other half. We have the 4th highest obesity figures int he world. The US being number 1. The girls that have not grown fat on maccas, kfc and the like are quite nice. I favour Eurasians at the moment.