1995 LE help needed

Guest Rik_Dunham

Guest Rik_Dunham

:help: I have two Pathfinders (’90 and ’95) and have had no problems with the 1990 but this 1995 is a little different story.

I will list a few problems that I could use some help with before having it looked at.

1995 LE with a auto tranny.

1. A few years ago I noticed little to no power (speed) while driving through the Utah mountains. I would need to get running starts to even keep up my speed while ascending. I took it to a local dealer and they ran the tranny on the computer and they said everything looked good. I mentioned that around town it seemed to work all right, beside some hard shifting while accelerating. But the thing really gets bad after it has warmed up and the elevation kicks in. (any help?).

2. My Tachometer seems to be all over the gauge, while idling it might jump from 800 to 8000 and stay there for a few miles and then maybe drop to a random reading. (any help?)

3. My speedometer works fine but my odometer has almost stopped working. Every few hundred miles it might move a few tenths. (any help?) I know this sounds like a good thing – no mileage racked up but I would like to get it fixed.

Edited by Rik_Dunham

Do you have an aftermarket tranny cooler ? If not, get one soon !! The stock tranny cooler does not do a good job and are prone to clogging. Heat will kill the tranny quick; this is a known issue on auto pathys. You DON'T want to pay to have it rebuilt !

Sorry, I'm uncertain about the other questions although I know others have experienced them and will post soon. GL Bud !!

(2 Pathys, I'm jealous...)

B

1. The altitude kills power, no doubt. I think the slow tranny syndrome is caused by the elevation change and the way the TCU and ECU run at that elevation, depending on the condition of all then engine's other systems(EGR, exhaust, injectors, etc) it usually runs juuuust funny enough to do that. Mine bogs down pretty bad at heights over 2000-3500 and just gerts worse the higher I go. I have to rev the snot out of the motor to get it to go anywhere and it runs hot...cause it's running too lean. Lower atmospheric pressure. Less burnable atmosphere per cubic inch. I could be wrong. ;)

2. I seem to hear a lot of tach problems from either faulty tachometers themselves or poor wiring connections...I can't remember what the final word was on that topic, but I also seem to remember people generally just taking out the gauges and replacing the tachometer at a component level to fix the problem.

3. Same as above...perhaps the gears can be looked at from a disassembled gauge cluster?