Tire Type

Matthew

I was looking to get 31" tires after I got the money for a 2" lift, and was wondering if anyone has anyone has any opinions on which tire is the best for off-road, without comprimising a smooth and quiet ride:

Bridgestone Dueler AT REVO

Bridgestone Dueler AT

BF Goodrich AT

I run 31x10.5" BFG AT on my WD21 and they they are quite smooth and quiet. Most consider them jack of all trades, master of none, but I do know they are rated quite well for wet pavement and people say they tend to pack up in gooey mud. Yes to the wet weather handling, but I cant say first hand for gooey mud or snow. :shrug: If you are a light duty off roader, I'd say they would do you just fine.

I know Pezzy has Revo's and likes them a lot ! I believe DJ Dank or Vengeful has the same, and one of them will chime in soon. I don't know what the price difference is so look into it if it matters to you, but I think the BFG AT's are perfectly acceptable for the non-mudbogger...

B

Yeah i got the REVO's..and I love em...The noise is only noticeable when I'm driving at around 45mph...any faster, the engine/exhaust noise is all I hear.

But noise is not even an issue. I have no regrets whatsoever after having them for 2 years now...the tread still looks new and the yellow/orange m arks you see in new tires are still visible deep in the cool tread design.

354764_22_full.jpg

Like Precise1 said, the BFG ATs have a loyal following as a solid jack-of-all-trades tire.

Personally, over 11 years and three vehicles (87 4Runner, 95 Nissan PU, 97 Pathy) I have NEVER flatted with these. Prior to that I usually flatted or trashed a sidewall once a season. But that may not be entirely fair because those flats were on factory rubber, and I wasn't nearly as experienced (or less-stupid?) as I have become in the last decade of off-roading. But Kieth (System-F) trashed a BFG sidewall on the AZ run this summer - but he gets in some pretty rough situations and AZ rocks are harsh!

see:

www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=ORAT

Notice the Revo's hold the number one spot, but statistically they have half the mileage in responses - since they are newer - but they are encroaching on BFGs marketshare pretty successfully. I haven't run these but I've heard so many people say good things (especially on this and the AC list) that they seem to be a winner too.

The only thing I notice in the technical ratings is the Revo's do not carry the Severe Winter Duty rating that the BFG does - so if you live in the north that may be a concern. I've always lived in snow regions - either north or at altitude - so I'm on snowpack at least 3 months straight. The BFGs do a really great job on snow and in sub-zero conditions.

m.