Did I Get Taken For A Ride?

frankle1

I went to change the oil at one of those quick lube places. I also wanted them to change the transmission fluid (see post below "transmission problems" - which has not happened again). They convinced me to get the 'power flush' for the transmission where they roll our this big machine with a neon light on it, hook it into the transmission circuit at the radiator and then run the car for a bit until the fluid has been replaced. Is this really different then just draining and replacing the fluid?? I am really not convinced but it cost quite a bit more!

First I've heard about it... Makes since tho. If/When you change the tranny fluid on an A/T you're really only changing a little over half the actual fluid. The rest of the fluid is in your torque converter.

• 2 weeks later...

hey just to ease your mind...I'm the manager of Jiffy lube Store #295 here in the Silicon Valley. The tranny flush flushes all the old fluid out with 8 quarts of new fluid, so your guaranteed to have 100% new fluid. The pressurized system also cleans the tranny filter (screen), so you don't have to worry about changing that ethier. hope that makes thing a bit easier for you to understand! :aok:

Last time I checked Jiffy Lube promotes transmission "fluid exchanges", its not a power flush. There is no pump in the exchange machine, it relies on the transmission pump to push the old fluid out the cooler line to the machine and a diaphragm in the machine pushes the new fluid out of the machine and back into the cooler line. There is no pressure applied via the exchange machine. Since the flow is via the transmission pump and there is no reverse flush (which is a good thing), there is no cleaning of the trans filter, not that it matters with a self cleaning Nissan screen. Lastly it takes a lot more than 8 qts to exchange %100 of the fluid in the Pathfinder.

hey just to ease your mind...I'm the manager of Jiffy lube Store #295 here in the Silicon Valley.

sssh reaaaaaaaaally? where abouts in the "silicone valley"?? and, um **winks** do any good deals fer a NPORA member?? **wink wink** :beer:

hey just to ease your mind...I'm the manager of Jiffy lube Store #295 here in the Silicon Valley.

sssh reaaaaaaaaally? where abouts in the "silicone valley"?? and, um **winks** do any good deals fer a NPORA member?? **wink wink** :beer:

LOL...

::wink::

I had one of those t-tech things done to my honda in college and, it worked out great for a week then the problems started loss of power and the car wouldnt shift.

so when I took it too honda they told me if you have'nt changed your fluid every 30,000 miles that you shouldnt do a flush because it breaks loose all the trash in the tranny pan and clogs the filter. end result I fianalygot a prelude with a stick after changing the trashed automatic. :)