Couple ?'s About My '87

Guest SN's87

Guest SN's87

Hey have a couple of questions about my ride.First is I believe my exhaust manifolds are completely gone now......just come back from a 6 hour trip the other day and on the way back it ticked all the way...at low speeds or high.I'm assuming this is a manifold problem?What am I looking at as far as repair costs from a shop.The other thing I was kinda wondering about is on the '87 SE's...is there only 3 gears or is there supposed to be an O/D as well.....because when im crusing at 70-75 my rpm's are at 4000.....I always thought it just has three gears but now im wondering if it is supposed to have O/D as well.......no problems with shifting or anything just high rpm at high speed.

I'll do my best to help:

The manifold bolts (from what I've read/heard) are a BI*CH to do, so I'm not sure what it'll run when your on shop time.

What I do know is you might consider swapping out the manifolds for some headers at the same time, and then have a capable exhaust shop do the work. Pacesetter and Thorely make headers for our rigs.

As far as the slushbox goes I think thats about typical. Our trucks are heavy and our engines are underpowered for the weight. 4000rpm @ freeway crusing seems about right (to me).

Best advice I can give you is don't be afraid to use the seach feature :)

One question though, did the ticking ever stop? I had thought that the manifolds stopped ticking after the engine warms up, expands the manifold and hence the ticking stops. Anyone else care to chime in?

Edited by Harbinger

Most of the 87 Pathfinders came with a 3-speed auto tranny, instead of the 4-speed O/D auto tranny. The next year, they all got the 4-speed O/D tranny.

Sounds like your manifold studs are shot...time to invest in some headers.

Definitely go with new headers, I read that the Nissan headers had a design flaw where because of the shape they get too hot and fry the bolts, so if you just get new bolts most likely the same thing will happin in the future