Rear Brake Lock Up?

Ramithepimp77

So far two times I have noticed my back passenger wheel smoking and smelling STRONGLY like brakes. I think it might be locking up or not dis-engaging or something. Anyone ever have this prob on their Pathy? Any suggestions?

Thanks

Rami

Rami,

You probably have a shoe or pad (depending on whether you have rear discs or drum) sticking, most likely caused either by a sticking caliper if you have discs, or a stuck spring, or malfunctioning wheel cylinder or auto-adjuster in the drum. Take it apart and have a look to see if everything's moving freely.

OOPSY :o I forgot to mention I have rear disc brakes. I resently had them replaced BY A FRIEND not a shop. Sorry. I should have remembered to add that in the original post.

Rami

Sometimes brand-new brakes will get too hot and smell like that, but if they were JUST replaced, they could be just bedding in and not have anything wrong with them. Or the e-brake adjuster could need some touching-up. There is a small drum brake inside the rear discs that makes up your e-brakes.

• 2 weeks later...