Upper control arm bolts

mudfinder

what's going on everyone. well couple weeks ago, i noticed a loud clunking feeling around the front passenger side wheel area everytime i stopped or turned or accelerated. upon inspection, i notice one of the bolts holding the UCA is loose. so i start to tighten her up, didn't seem to want to tighten, so i decided to take it out completely and reinsert it. when i took the bolt out, half of it was still inside the frame. now, how does anyone break that bolt? could it be by putting pressure on the wheel while trying to climb or what? anyway, i finally drilled a hole through that bolt to extract it with a reverse thread. so far, no luck, i think it's frozen in there or something. i've tried vise grips, regular pilers, drills, from regular to heavy duty power drills. any ideas on what kinda tool i can use? a friend of mine was suggesting me to use a sawzal and cut it out piece by piece, then chizeling it out. any ideas?? thanx!

another thing. what kinda bolt can i use to replace it? as in what grade? the sales guy at the hardware store said that i don't want the ones from them, that is too soft.

Edited by mudfinder

Upper control are bolts are 14M X 1.5 This is considered a fine thread for that size bolt as coarse is 2.0. You want a grade 10 in there, but an 8 will work, but nothing lower than an 8. Stock length is 50mm, I just put 65mm's in there to account for the extra shims needed to get my beast aligned right.

To summerize 14M X 1.5 X >50mm is what you need. Grade 8 or >

To get the old bugger out, use a propane torch. Alot of times, alignment shops will hit those with thread locker to keep em from backin out. PB and heat, then followed by rapping it with a hammer usual frees those up. Good luck.

M.M.

Edited by MaritimeMan

success!!! my buddy and i took out the broken piece out. finally. first i torched it with a propane torch gun(thank you maritime) that probably helped alot, then we pounded in with one of those heavy duty 1foot flat screwdrive and used a wrench to screw it out. came out no problem. the only trouble i'm having is trying to find the bolt. i went to pepboys, mom and pop auto parts stores, home depot, osh. osh had some but their metric didn't match mine. any ideas where i can find it, or if there is a website anyone knows of. other than that, mudfinder is almost ready to play.

Edited by mudfinder

stopped by ACE eariler today and no luck. threads just won't match up. i just came back from the dealer, ordered a pair. will be in as early as thurday and no later than fri.

Just to let you know I found mine at Bolt-Depot online. I needed em in a hurry so I had to get em overnighted. $37 bucks just in shipping, but the price was somwewhat reasonable. I'll find the link. brb.

i just bought two of them from the dealer. cost me $9.20. i'm going to order two more anyway for the other side so that i don't end up in this situation again. but hey thanks alot!!

SUCCESS!!!! i finally fixed my path. picked up the bolts from the dealer yesterday and put everything back together. i really missed driving my path. i could go and play now.

i was able get a 10 gauge bolt from the dealer. the only website i was able to fine the UCA bolt was at bolt depot.

i want to thank you guys for helping me out. i know i could count on everyone here. my knowledge on repairing trucks, such as this issue, my lockrite locker, i didn't have, now i do which hopefully i'll be able to pass on to other people. thanks guy!!

:beer:

Edited by mudfinder