A few issues with my Pathy

First of all, I think something must be wrong with the alarm on my 2000 Pathfinder. It has gone off in front of my house the last two times I was mowing the lawn, and then again this morning as the neighbor across the street was. Also happened at work a few weeks ago in the middle of the parking lot. I'm thinking it might be a noise sensor (If we have them on our cars? :confused: ) considering its all happened in a "noisy" environment. If I can't fix it, whats the best way to disable the alarm all together? The next problem that just arose is another sound the engine makes when being started for the first time that day. As soon as the engine is started, it makes a LOUD shreaking noise for 1-3 seconds, then goes away and everythings perfectly fine. I know I've heard it before in parking lots, and heard it was something to due with the power steering? ANY help is greatly appreciated, I know theres a lot of knowledge on this board. :beer:

Tyler

Thanks for the quick reply. Is the shock sensor something I myself can adjust, or need to take it to a dealer or mechanic? I had the timing belt replaced about 2,000 miles ago and don't think they replaced any of the other belts. Will this be another $500 in labor like the timing belt, or does the entire front end not need to come off with these? Thanks a bunch.

Tyler

Will this be another $500 in labor like the timing belt

Nah. 88 is referring to the belt(s) on the front of the engine that are visible when you pop the hood open. Please don't take offense, but if you're not familiar with how to replace your accessory belt(s), you might want to have someone who knows their way around an engine a little better than you do give you a hand.

JJ Big Shoe,

Thanks for the advice - no offense taken at all. I have done a fair amount of work on vehicles myself, but I'm by no means a mechanic. I haven't done much engine work since I'm worried I'll screw something up. I think it would probably be a good idea to have someone help, and hopefully this will help. I didn't get that horrible noise this morning, so I'll have to see if it happens tomorrow. If not it may have just gone away. I really do appreciate all the help.

Anyone else know whether the shock sensor can be adjust by me, or whether I need to take it to the dealer?

Tyler

If you hear the squealing sound when you turn the steering wheel fully right or left, then it's the power steering belt that's loose.

Since the timing belt was recently replaced (2000 miles is "recent") take it back to the shop that did the work and tell them that ever since the timing belt was replaced, it's been making the noise, and that you've only recently got the chance to take it back to them. Tell them you suspect that one of the belts is loose. Replacing the timing belt requires removing and reinstalling all of the other belts, so the shop might have failed to tighten one of them sufficiently. Auto repair work is usually covered by a 12000/12-month parts&labor warranty (at least it is in California).

Before you visit the shop, however, visually inspect the belts and look for cracks on the inner surface of the belt. If you see cracking then they're due for replacement. If not, then simply have them tightened. The shop might try to sell you new belts even if they don't need to be replaced. They might say that if new belts weren't installed, then they aren't covered. However, they DID have to remove and replace them, so if they're loose, it's because of the work they did.