RUST RUST

Guest K MAN

Guest K MAN

I have a 95 Pathfinder se with 150000 miles.The body is clean.I removed the 3rd set of steprails and discovered some serious rust issues.Here they are.I had welded plates along the frame behind both rear tires and next to the plates I punched a huge hole with my finger.I also did the same along the side frame rail by the passengers side door.I am going to weld some support steel to hopefully prevent it from completely breaking.I have a few questions.

1.If the frame compltely cracks in half can the truck still be driven.2.If this happens can you weld it back together.3.What are the safety issues if any?I was hoping to get 5 more years out of the truck but am very concerned about the rust.....THANKS Any other advice is appreciated

Well, I doubt you should/could/would drive a truck with the frame cracked completely in half. I know I wouldn't even if it seemed drivable, which I doubt would be the case. Couldn't imagine getting in an accident, that'd be serious bad news... Don't try to push it when life and limb (yours and others) could be at stake. I'm just going to assume you are joking. Search for rust issues, many people have had them and some have 'fixed' them.

B

I don't think you could drive the truck if the frame cracked in half. The frame is what absorbs all the stresses from driving, and even under little old lady driving the frame is still absorbing a lot of stress. I think that any break in the frame would cause the truck to start crumpling. :blink: I'm not completely certain that is the case but through my very basic understandings of physics it seems logical. If I'm wrong on this will someone let me know, and if I'm right let me know too. :P

I can't recomend this, but...

A friend of mine cracked one of his frame rails all the wat through. Happened on a big pot hole. He used a square steel light pole to rebuild the frame with the help of a talented welder. If I hadn't seen the results, I'm not sure I would believe it. He essentially replaced the rails all around the r axle bends. The tubing he used was ~6" square. He also used the tubing to build a new front bumper/winch mount. The winch housing has sine cracked, but everything else is working fine. I'll try to find the pics I have. I think that they are on my parents computer.

You have discovered Nissan biggest Pathfinder problem. Almost every 95 I have ever examine has the rust condition you are describing. Since it has been repaired once the only solution is replacement. In replaceing the rear frame you have to look forward of the rear doors. Many 95's also have rust holes in the straight frame rail portion between the axles. While you could fabricate a new frame look for a 90 or 91 donor. These frames are generally solid, but the bodies rot off those years.

There have been claims that frame replacement has cost people only $1500. The only documented frame replacement I have seen was on this forum and the cost was over $3000.