So the tranny fianly went

MaritimeMan

I haven't been around much at all these past few months, been busy as hell, but thats another story. These last two weeks have been especialy fun. Was on a road trip two weekends ago, a small one, about 150 miles one way. On the way up, she didn't shift (manual) as I was doin a couple small hill climbs, uh oh. I reach my destination after about 30 min of this, and parked it for the weekend. Worry about it later.

Sunday rolls around, and time to go, so I hit the road. I needed gas before I hit the main freeway, so I stopped, got out, and smelled a funny smell, the kind only bad tranny fuild makes. I take a peak under her, and she just wet the bed, front seal it gone. Big uh oh. Well, I figure it's done, and jump back in and drive the 100 miles home. About 40 miles from home, it pops out of 5th gear. Cruise control, freeway, doin about 75. Thanak God for rev limiters. I scooted over to the slow lane and went to put it back in 5th. Uh oh, no 5th. OK 4th the rest of the way home.

I hit a light just before my house, where I realized it was not gonna go into anything else, and barely got it back into 4th. Ooooh rough start. Haha, I have to drive up a hill to get to my house. Crap. By the time I thought to drop down to 4 low, too late, burned the clutch. Ok, close enough, walk home get the roomate's truck, tow it the last couple of blocks.

Took it out in hopes to rebuild, but were quickly dashed when looking at the price of replacement gears. Here's what I found:

dcp08545vh.jpg

oh it gets better, hosed main bearing

dcp08539zc.jpg

Pile of goodies:

dcp08552il.jpg

and finally, the main shaft gear, or former, I should say:

dcp08564gj.jpg

I found a junked tranny in Portland, OR ( Oregon plug, w00t) for $650, had to shipped to me in the bay area for 90 bucks. Had to replace the clutch, worked a deal and got it from the dealership for $100. As of right now, she has been pulled apart, checked out, bolted to the engine, and flushed. All thats left is tightening a few things, and a few other things. Weeeeeee thats been my fun the past 2 weeks. What did you do?

No worries MM, I'm with ya. My 5-speed just went as well, although, it's still driveable.

I can't drive in 5th due to the fear inducing grinding/howling, clutch is slipping in 4th, on even pavement if I give it any gas, throw-out bearing is barking every time I press the clutch, and all gears but 4th make so much noise.

My buddy is getting some parts for me, and we're doing it this weekend.

It's been going for about 80,000km's, so I can't really complain. It'll be nice to drive a truck with decent tranny for a change. :cool2:

So MM, since you've had the whole thing apart...

I have my transmission out right now to replace the clutch. There is a bit of end play on the input shaft, so I know the front main bearing is pretty worn. How difficult is it to get to that bearing? Can I just take off the front cover inside the bellhousing? Or do I have to tear the thing halfway apart?

I didn't really pay attention to which way the bearing comes out. Since under the front cover plate is a Jesus clip holding it from goin into the casing, I'd imagine it goes in that way. If you already have the tranny out, it is really easy to pull apart to inspect inside.

Under the front cover, you have to take off a Jesus clip on the main bearing and the main shift fork, along with the main shift fork's spacer. The spacer looks like a washer. After that, look on the passenger side towards the top on the front half of the housing, you'll see 2 bolts which appear to be retaining a plate. Pull these two bolts and use a screw driver to pop the retainer out. You'll hear a ball bearing drop. Not worries, you'll have it apart in a few more minutes, just make sure you find it. Be careful with that plate, it has a spring inside one of the bolt holes, and when putting it back on, insert the retainer, then the ball bearing, spring, then bolt.

After you get the retainer off, take an appropriate sized drift to drive out the pin on the main shifter, right where the shift stick goes in. Try not to drive it all the way out, cause if you drop it, you'll have to find that too. Now that the shifter reciever is free from it's shaft, begin pulling all the bolts on the adapter plate. It's the approx 1" plate right in the middle of the tranny, seperating the 2 halfs. All your gears are affixed to this plate, and with a soft hammer tap each half off the adapter plate. Just like that, your tranny is open for inspection. The main bearing can be driven out with a piece of wood, and installed similarly. I still have my old one sitting in pieces in my garage, so if you need a few pics along with this explaination, I'm sure I could drum some up or just scam the FSM and email em to ya.

Good luck, the hard part is done by pullin it out, the fun part is putting it back in.

Thanks for the tips MM but I think I'll just let it go till it dies. Mostly because that would be getting myself in too deep to get it all back together this weekend, but also because I'm curious how far it'll go (engine and trans)

It'll go for a ways before it completely wets the bed. I think I got almost 10k out of her, from when I put in the GL-5 and she started actin up. If you have the tranny out already, that bearing is easy. If you don't, well takin it out is fun, fun, fun. Just make sure you have a free night or two, and about a case of beer.