Recommendations on Steering Kits, 1990 WD21

Hi guys, first time posting, I just picked up my Pathfinder a few months ago. Steering is shot to hell, Les Schwab wants 1500 to replace center link, upper ball joints, inner/outter tie rods, front wheel bearings and an Idler arm. I want to do it myself but I’m not sure where I should buy parts. I see such a range in prices for some components. Not sure where it’s best to spend my money. It’ll be my first time doing tie rods or ball joints. Any recommendations would be great!

Edited by JordanB

:welcome: Nice two-tone!

Check for yourself that the parts are actually bad before taking Les Schwab's word on anything.

Check the steering box, too. My dad had every joint in the front end replaced on my '95, and the steering didn't feel any better afterwards, because the slop was in the box. They are technically adjustable, but I killed the box in my '93 by attempting this, so I do not recommend it. I replaced it with a VisionOE/BBB reman off Rockauto, which I also do not recommend, because it's worse than what I started with. I'm planning to replace it with a used one that hasn't been worked over by muppets. A few people have had theirs professionally rebuilt by Redhead--sounds like that's the way to go.

The stock centerlink on these is not a great design. If you're keeping the truck at stock height, stock tires, and not wheeling it, then it should be OK. Seemed to hold up OK on the '95. I've got a Grassroots link on the '93, which I don't think I could break if I tried, but it's scared me a couple times from the fasteners working loose (though fine-thread fasteners are supposed to cure this). It's also got a lot more drag than the factory parts. I didn't like that at first, but now that it's worn in to where it self-centers again, I appreciate how the added drag mostly stops the front end from exploring the play in the steering box.

Unless they're damaged, the wheel bearings can be repacked and readjusted. There are instructions in the service manual. Cardiagn.com has the '90 manual. Do the seal between the hub and the CV while you're in there.

Add the strut rod bushings to your list, even if they look okay. The cups fail, the holes wear oversize, the sleeves wear through, and then the rods wear through.

IIRC I tracked down 555 parts through Rockauto when I did mine. Some of the boots haven't held up as well as I would've hoped, but I haven't noticed play in the joints yet. I was told at the time that it was a good brand. Don't know if that's still the case.

Wow thanks for the detailed reply! I’m really inexperienced with cars, this is my first time really grabbing a wrench and digging in there. I actually kind of jumped the gun and put on a 3” suspension lift myself from 4x4parts.com. I’m trying to make it an off roader, not necessarily for rock crawling but I’d like it to be pretty beefy. That info you posted is super valuable though. I’m not exactly sure how to check on my components like ball joints and tie rods or wheel bearings. Been watching some videos to see what I’m looking at, I’m basically just looking for slop in the joints I guess. Everything did look pretty toasted under there when I was putting in the new suspension.