Can someone post a picture of the AC compressor relay?

EricCR

I'm chasing down an issue with the AC compressor not working intermittently. I can't hear the relay clicking when that happens. It's either the relay or the auto amp (the climate control panel), so I'm starting with the easiest things first.

I found that the relay labeled "air con" was replaced by the PO and I have what seems to be a generic black relay with no markings. I moved it to fog light duties and I can see it acting up. 1 out of ~10 times the fog lights don't turn on or do but with a massive delay.

Apparently the original relay should be blue, but there are a myriad of blue Nissan relays. Can someone pry open the relay box and take a picture of (or write down) the part number on the "air con" one (should be on the side of the relay)? I'll be forever grateful. It should be something like "25230-799XX". I guess it's better if you also have a VQ Pathy.

I already got a couple of 25230-79981 but I'm not 100% sure those are the right ones (they are blue too, but fatter than the light relays which are 25230-79945). I assume any similar relay should work, but undersized coils may cause some issues down the line so I'm expecting the AC compressor one to be beefy.

Edited by EricCR

Yeah, but it's a mess. Other sites say it's 25230-79981. I suppose all work and only have different capacity coils, but I'm a sucker for keeping things OEM. The fog lights one that I'm using for now is the 79945 and it's working fine but the AC compressor being so demanding I'm concerned about the relay getting too hot and failing eventually.

Here's the best description of each one that I could find and it's still missing the newer ones:

http://www.1stgen.org/viewtopic.php?t=4487

I guess I'll go for the fattest blue one I can get, lol.

I think you're overestimating the current draw of the aircon clutch. I can't find a spec for yours specifically, but it looks like aircon clutches generally take less than 5A. If your relay was happy switching two 55W halogen fog lights, it should have no trouble with the compressor clutch.

If some blue relays were heavier-duty than others, and would cause issues if switched, I would expect the service manual to call that out somewhere. It doesn't, at least not that I've found. It just calls them Type 1M. Looks like there are at least three different pin layouts (two in the '03 manual, one in the '95), so that may explain a few of the different part numbers. Other than that, could be different suppliers, slight revisions, something along those lines.

Hopefully an R50 owner can get you the PN off of theirs to put your mind at ease.

You are right that 2 halogen bulbs is ~10A which is a lot. Didn't think of it that way.

I'll just use the ones I bought. Relays is one of those things will never be in risk of becoming NLA. In the unlikely scenario they keep failing then perhaps that'd indicate an issue somewhere else.

Edited by EricCR