Help needed with Pacesetter header intall?!

MaSteRmAcK

Hey guys, I've recently purchase a set of pacesetter headers for my 89 V6 and i have a few questions on the intall as they did not come with any instructions. First, there are three bungs, two on the driverside header and one on the collector. I know that the one on the collector is for the O2 sensor but the other 2 i have no clue. Also, will the stock O2 sensor fit on this set?

Has anyone done this install b4? If so, and you are in the Greater Toronto Area, can i take a peek and see how it's done?? If not, then some pics could go a long way in helping with the install,

Thanks guys, looking forward to hearing from you.

Call Pacesetter and confirm you have the right header set for your application (e.g. year, A/T, M/T). They will fax install instructions if you didn't get them with your kit. Don't ask me how I know this. The bunges on the driver side header are more than likely for the EGR circuit. At least one should be. I'm sorry I can't be more definate since I have a '91 V6. Another thing to stongly consider is to "round file" the exhaust manifold gaskets that came with the kit and up grade to some Fel-Pro gray graphite colored ones. Stock O2 sensor should work with the header set fine.

Mike

Thinking more last night, something that I would also consider doing prior to installing your headers is wrapping them with high heat tape. Somebody makes a header insulating tape. The high temp paint that came on the headers from Pacesetter will last about 30 seconds once the pipes are heated up. And if you think the 1200 degree rattlecan paint is any better, it isn't. By wrapping the headers prior to installation you will keep the temps in the exhaust gases in the headers as high as possible which will improve performance. Meaning the exhaust gases will flow faster and easier if they are hotter thereby letting the motor breath more freely. And the starter and other things will be kept cooler because of the insulation as well.

JMO

Mike

I read from Thorley that if you wrap your headers, you will void the warranty. Also, you can think about getting them ceramic coated. I also heard that Jet Hot is good.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Hey guys, this post has me worried. I just got some Pacesetter headers for my 88 v6 and they only have 1 bung, 1 on the driver's side header and nothing on the collector.

They bolt up to the block fine, but how could I make sure the company didn't send me the headers for 90+ Pathfinders by mistake?

thanks in advance.

Hey guys, this post has me worried. I just got some Pacesetter headers for my 88 v6 and they only have 1 bung, 1 on the driver's side header and nothing on the collector.

They bolt up to the block fine, but how could I make sure the company didn't send me the headers for 90+ Pathfinders by mistake?

thanks in advance.

Sounds like you got some for a newer pathy. I have a 94 and my pacesetters dont have the 02 bung on it either. Mine is on the precat section. Get some good exhaust manifold gaskets to, the pacesetter ones suck a$$.

good luck

later

josh

Here is the link to the headers that i ordered, they say they're for 87-90..but they could be wrong...

anybody know if these will fit my 88? the ones in the pic, are the same as the ones i got. it'd be great to find out before i drop the engine in.

Thanks alot for any info!

For a 87-89 VG30i, there should be an EGR bung, an AIV bung and an O2 sensor bung on the driver's side header. The set of Pacesetters I removed from an 89 has all three bungs. The crossover pipe SHOULD be where the O2 sensor goes, but they apparently don't care about relocation issues with their headers. Hopefully the O2 sensor will work OK by just reading the A/F ratio off the driver's side bank of cylinders. Lee from L&P told me once that they run lean on the other side at times, though.

thanks for the info 88.

After looking around on the website, I see that they sell the Pacesetters with the 3 bungs for a Standard Transmission '88 pathfinder. Could they be different depending on auto or manual tranny?

Here is the LINK with a picture.

Edited by madhatter_xe

I wrapped the headers on my Dodge (340) and I haven't had any problems. I sand blasted them and used BBQ grill paint from ACE when I first got them, and it sits out side because I don't have room in my garage. IF you just let the original paint burn off, then you might have rust problems.