Getting super technical with suspension lifts

Hey folks, 

Firstly thank you all who have contributed to these forums. They've got me started on the road to lifting my 99' R50. 

I'm all about doing things properly and although there seems to be a tonne of suggestions on ways to lift a R50, it all seems to be different opinions and conflicting information with actual data and stats few and far between. 

I've been on a massive internet deep dive and have come up with the R50 pathfinder cheat sheet. 

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1abVu9ohFIH__y34n4abDAQVU_HOUewkE5vW1ejoBSeE/edit?usp=drivesdk

It's a spreadsheet design to allow you to choose which lift option you would like and will show you the actual estimated lift you will gain, whilst suggesting the ideal shock to match the lift you want. 

At the moment I have it tailored to the parts I am considering using however if there is interest I will add other Bilstein models and the other popular options for R50 builds. Currently I am looking at a 2.5" lift using a Bilstein 5160 shock.

I would make a similar cheat sheet for front lifts but the options are much more limited to what struts fit a R50 Pathfinder. Seems to be mainly OME struts or KYB Gas-a-Just. Anyone else know of any other options? 

Before it's fully up and running I require the brain power of some of you forum member in the know. I have had to make several assumptions and some of the specs I have pulled from random pages of the internet. 

Can someone please confirm the specs for the coil springs, and can give me an insight into the assumptions I have had to make about R50's? 

Is there anything else I havent considered? 

1. What makes a shock/spring set up perfect? Are my assumptions correct? I am assuming that the OEM shock/spring set up is perfect. 

2. How much weight is spread across the rear wheels from the curb weight of the vehicle? 

3. How much more travel does the OEM spring provide past the max extended length of the OEM shock?

Looking for any constructive criticism and ideas. Hope a few of you will find this useful. I will be happy to add other options and slow include prices so that it can evolve into a super useful tool for anyone considering a lift. 

• Thanks 1

This is great information you have compiled, but honestly the majority of newer pathfinder owners can't differentiate between "there", "their", and "they're". Almost all R50s being modified at the moment are guys that want the biggest tires, subframe drop, and LR springs. The pandemic really boosted the "off-road" and "overland" scenes which also increased the price of capable SUVs, most notably the 4Runner. Naturally, anyone that can't afford a Toyota bought the next cheapest vehicle.

Nice to see someone putting information together! Or at least a fellow wanderer of rabbit holes.

Standard disclaimer, I haven't messed with R50s or lifts--just read a lot about other peoples' lifts/issues/findings.

1) I would call the original setup "factory" rather than "perfect." Depending on how you want the truck to handle, how much weight you add to it, and how much lift you're running, what's perfect for you may be radically different from what Nissan decided was good enough for a family hauler at stock height.

I would also consider the shock length vs the ride height. If the shocks are topping out all the time, or they bottom out before the suspension hits the bumpstops, you're gonna have a bad time.

2) Track day bros put a scale under all four wheels to determine their weight distribution. If you know one, borrow their scales. If not, I'll bet a dump/concrete plant/truck stop would have a scale that you could park just the back wheels on and get a readout, if it's a slow day and the guy in the booth is feeling helpful/incentivized. 

3) If you're looking for how much droop you can get before the springs fall out, you could jack up the rear end until the shocks top out, measure the length of the spring, remove the shocks, keep jacking until the springs get loose (or you run into the limits of your driveshaft hoop or brake line, keep an eye on those), and then measure the springs again. I have heard of coil springs falling out at full flex with extended-length shocks (and probably a few other mods as well), and the fix was wire or big metal zip ties holding the springs to the axle and frame so they couldn't do that anymore.

Prices fluctuate and would probably be out of date before you hit save, so I wouldn't bother with that. A vendor name/link should last a little longer.

Thanks for the feedback.

By perfect I am talking about the relationship between a shock and the spring. The springs going to do its own thing so I am just trying to figure out where the shock would sit in it's travel ideally when the car is just sitting still. i.e it's sag under the weight of the vehicle. I just assumed that if the factory shocks sit at say 30% through their travel then the aftermarket ones would ideally sit at the same amount. 

I've included the topping out length in my calculations and made a ratio comparing how the percentage of the aftermarket shock is to the new spring max length, to the percentage of the factory shock to max length of the new spring. I.e 1:1 would be the same ratio as factory, 1+:1 would be too long for spring, 1-:1 would be too small. Hope I've explained that right!??

For bottom out length I've as assumed that there will be a bump stop appropriate to the min shock length. 

Ive tried calculating the factory sag but need to knowbhow much weight is on the back to calculate it accurately. The dump sounds like a great idea, might head there this week and see if they would tell me. 

I'm waiting on parts to arrive but I think that I will measure and report back everything when I put them in. Should be able to help me verify some of the information.

As for springs falling out, I might add a column checking if the increase is shock length does not increase enough to allow the spring to get to maximum length. Once I know the how much more length the spring has past the max shock length it should be easy. 

Do you know of any resources where I can double check my specifications for the springs?