New to the r50 world! (2000 Infinity qx4)

cpalomo

Picked up a 2000 qx4 with only 120k for a really good deal. I picked it up to use as a "to and from" work car but I'm slowly really becoming a fan. I've been out of the modification game for about 15 years now (former VW enthusiast) and need somewhere to start. The car sat for some time so some of the suspension work needs to be taken care of and if I'm going to begin working on the suspension I might as well go down the rabbit hole. This would be my first lift modification for any car I've ever owned, normally I'm used to going lower to the ground not higher.

That all being said, would appreciate some help here. I do not have the space to do the work myself so I have to find a shop to take care of that but where do I start? I started doing research but no idea what is reputable and what's not. 

I don't mean to be the bearer of bad news, but here's the reality. Most shops will not generally touch an R50 when it comes to lifting them, primarily because they use an uncommon-for-4x4s strut-based independent front suspension and shops don't want to accept the liability from the side-effects caused by lifting them, namely broken CV axles if you use tall spacers or strut "topping out" issues with lift coil springs, plus camber issues. Lifting the R50 causes a whole bunch of side-effects that scare off shops who offer warranties on their work. Add in the fact that many shops won't install customer-supplied parts (which you would have to source from the vendor(s) of your choice), and DIY becomes a more realistic option. That being said, you'll might get lucky if you call around various shops that do suspension repairs (not necessarily off-road mods or lifts) and ask if they'll install customer supplied parts or if they'll work on your truck if you waive the warranty. You can just tell them that your original springs are sagging/old, and you purchased new ones. If you tell them it's for a lift, they'll usually turn you down due to potential liability issues. After lifting, you'll need an alignment and shops will be afraid that because lifting requires camber bolts, they might be held liable by you for being unable to get alignment in spec. Even a reputable franchise such as 4WheelParts may not want to work on your R50 because they're generally not familiar with them. Domestics and Toyotas are their domain. Still, it can't hurt to try, but I'm afraid you'll find your options are pretty limited when modding your vintage Nissan. Most R50 owners have figured out how to make these mods themselves or find another R50 enthusiast to help them out.

• Like 1