Bilstein 4600 vs Old Man Emu Nitrocharger (Build Suggestions)

moykas

Hey y'all, recently purchased an '87 WD21 w/ 130k miles. Was originally looking for a 4 door, but I fell in love with the 2 door when I saw it in person. The current suspension is old and saggy so I'm looking to upgrade. I'd like to run 31" General Grabbers (currently has the stock 30"). My goal is to give my pathy a slight lift (~0.5-1") to properly fit the 31" tires. Looking for a slightly firmer ride than stock, although I don't have a true reference because this suspension is shot and bouncy. I plan to keep the truck light - no front bumpers, no tire carrier, and I'm eventually going to remove the roof rack.

Debating between:

Option A: Bilstein 4600 setup (~$350) + Generic brand springs ($~120) = ~$480

My question if I go this route is, which springs would you recommend I pair with these shocks? The only springs I can seem to find are the Mevotechs & other similar inexpensive options. I found the OME springs, but if I get those, I feel like I might as well go with the full OME setup.

Option B: Old Man Emu Nitrocharger (~$550) + OME2608 (Front) & OME2920 (Rear) ($~400) = ~$1,000

My question here is, are the OME2608 suitable for my truck? Vividracing lists them as compatible with pathfinders all the way up to 2014, whereas the rear OME2920 are 86-95 specific.

Curious if anyone has experience with these setups. I'm set on either Bilstein since I trust their monotube design, or OME since I hear they're the cream of the crop. Would be nice to save by getting the Bilstein setup, but I wouldn't mind spending extra to get it right the first time. Any insight would be very helpful and greatly appreciated. Thank you!

-Moykas

I have a 1993 and I put the Old Man EMU shocks, steering stabilizer and rear coils on along with the Sway-A-Way torsions. On the 4 door it went up about 1 inch from stock and 2 inches from sagging. A 2 door may go up a little more thanks to being a little lighter ride I can speak for. In general it is nice and ballanced. Not to stiff and not to soft. For OffRoad it will still flex just fine for my needs. Thanks to the torsions I put on I have the ability to run a heavy bumper or brush gaurd and simply adjust.

For the tire I went with Firestone Destination XT in 31x10.50x15. It is lighter than the KO2 and General Grabber and foes way better on traction both wet and dry(this is speaking from experience). I have ran it OffRoad and have been amazed by them. For a review from the Ranger Forums you can see a extensive review I made when i had my Ranger and a Work van.

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/firestone-destinaton-xts-anyone.16856/

Hipe that helps

Just wanted to add that the Old Man EMU 2608 will not fit the Pathfinder. The front uses Torsion bars, not coil springs. The Sway-A-Way Torsion Part number is 1458 and a few different places have it available. When i ordered mine it took avout 2 weeks to get them. The shocks and springs were within a week. The Old Man EMU shocks are 60031 and 60032. The steering stabilizer(if you can find it) is OMESD35.

Thanks a lot for your insight, Frenchy. Funny enough, I had ordered the OME steering stabilizer a while back but took too long to pick it up, and by the time I went to 4wheelparts they were no longer selling it /: Only sites that I see have them right now are in the UK. Would you say it's a necessity for our pathfinders?

I had a quick question about the OME Shocks as well - I'm seeing that on shock surplus they have a firm or soft valving option (https://www.shocksurplus.com/products/old-man-emu-nitrocharger-sport-gas-shocks-set-for-1987-1995-nissan-pathfinder-4wd?variant=32488624291889). Where did you get your OMEs? And did you have that option? Thats the only seller I've seen that has them with a valving option.

I hadn't considered the Firestones but I read your review and they seem appealing due to their tread pattern and durability. Have you ever tried the Yokohama Geolandars or the Toyo Open Country III/s? Looking at all my options at this point since it's a big purchase.

The steering stabilizer is nice to have for OffRoad. It simply helps you control the steering on the trail. For the shocks I got them off Amazon. The shocks have one set of valving in them that can't be changed and no need for changing.

As for the tires I did look at a few different brands, but being a Firestone guy i decided to stick with the Firestones and I have been happy.

For sure, thanks again for your insight Frenchy. Will keep the thread posted on which route I go for the suspension components & tires.