Poor heat out of the vents

Frenchy

As the title states I have poor heat out of the vents when its cold out. When the temperature is in the 40's to 50's its not too bad and will get you sweating. Freezing temps and it will barely defrost the windshield. Im already suspecting the heater core being plugged. I also understand it isnt a fun job for what all has to be done. That said has anyone gotten lucky by doing just a flush with a garden hose on the Heater Core?

I have flushed mine before and it helped a bit, my truck the previous owner had dumped stop leak in it. That crap is known for plugging heater cores. You have to flush it in the opposite direction of coolant flow as the sediment in there will be settled in the core.

If I had to do it again I'd take it to a shop that has one of those power flusher things that hooks up to the air compressor. They work really well.

Edited by adamzan

So i got it fixed. Yesterday I started to dive into it before making any rash decisions. I was also having a lack of flow as well. I took the blower resistor out and found a bunch of junk in there. Cleaned all that out(already have the updated grilles). After that I started to look at the temp and mode door actuators. I dis notice the temp going full cold before commanding full cold(didnt seem right but left it be). Went to the mode door since it likes to get stuck in defrost. I did lubricate all the cams and I took the actuator apart. I didnt take the gears out, just the cover. I lubricated it and put it back together. The mode door then started to move better but still gets stuck. Migh have a bad contact in the actuator. Just need to find another and go through it before I do anything there. From all that the flow was drastically improved, but the temp not so much.

Today after getting home I dived back in going to the temp actuator. This time I did the adjustment(set full hot then adjust the door all the way hot). After that the heat was fixed and I am now comfortable. A pain but it is what it is.

• Like 1