Approx value of my R50?

md1m

Looks like my 2003 Pathfinder SE Auto 2wd will need transmission repair in the future. Won't go into reverse after it's warmed up but forward gears are fine. Wanted to get opinions on approx value before I decide if I want to rebuild transmission eventually.

It's a 2003 Pathfinder SE 2wd auto with 258k. I'm in Central TX so it has never seen snow or ice - zero rust. I am the only owner and have babied it from day one. Have a thick folder of all the maint going all the way back to the window sticker from when I bought it. Has never been off road. I'm meticulous about maint, so has had oil changes, fluid changes, etc. Even replaced the fuel filter. Has had everything replaced that you would expect including new radiator, AC system, spark plugs and coil packs, etc. Replaced upper and lower control arms (not just bushings) when it started to wobble. Keep in the garage so the paint is in great condition.  Engine is smooth.

Can take pictures if I do decide to sell but really just trying to get an idea of what it might be worth at this point. I want to rebuild transmission and keep but only if it makes sense. I can't do transmission work myself.

Without looking at value or anything, my gut tells me that if a replacement transmission is less than.... $1500 it'd be worth it to me. Obviously can save money if it's remanufactured, rebuilt, junkyard, DIY, etc.

Why that much? Well, it's obviously in good shape and still a good vehicle. You know all the history, one owner, etc. Replace the transmission and I bet you could get many more years out of it. 

The alternative is you spend more than the transmission on a different vehicle. Either much more on a new vehicle with known history, or somewhat more on a vehicle that runs, but probably doesn't have the same meticulous records/history as yours.

Just throwing an opinion out there for ya, you know what they say about opinions :)

• Like 1

The unfortunate thing that no one is going to want to tell you, is without repairing the transmission it probably isn't worth much. I just did the KBB value on your car, and for a private party sale (with a good transmission) and in "excellent" shape the value is $2,800. I think you'd be super lucky to find someone willing to pay you $1,000 for it with the transmission problems. KBB values tend to be on the higher side of what you can actually get without spending a lot of time and marketing of the car. You'll also probably be hampered by the fact that anyone who wants these older vehicles are probably going to want 4wd too.

Personally I'd try to get a real transmission repair quote while it is still driveable, and before it would have to be trailered somewhere. Then decide if that quote is worth it to you to keep the vehicle absent any residual value it has now. The vehicle is a sunk cost to you at this point. You wouldn't want to pay more for a repair than you could reasonably get for the car in its repaired state, in case you needed to sell it. But the value in its current state isn't really a factor. 

• Like 1