Auto Parts Suppliers...

Harbinger

I got a bumper filler from them for a little cheaper than the dealer. The thing I like about their site is that they list the part number in the description. I was checking around for a aux. air pump for a mustang and they listed a OEM Motorcraft one for $100 less than the dealer, same part # and all.

Thanks JJ! I just wanted to check up, with a $50 core I can get a new caliper for my VW for about 54 +shipping, compared to the local partshouse price of $140 with no core. Don't even want to know what the local $tealer$hip wants for one.

Hows their customer service/shipping times?

The parts # listing is nice, plus I really like the java applet they have for searching parts. :cool2:

Edited by Harbinger

.......... same part # and all.

I have this feeling like I have heard of aftermarket companies simply copying the dealer part #. Be careful. One "rule of thumb" that I have heard is that if it didn't come from a dealership, it isn't factory.

Not to dispute you, but it wouldn't make sense for an automotive parts manufacturer to only supply them to dealerships. You can get the same Motorcraft filters, spark plugs, etc. at Auto Zone that the dealer stocks. If it's packaged in the OEM supplier's box (AC Delco, Motorcraft, etc.) and doesn't have "remanufactured" on it, I'd say it's a pretty safe bet.

That being said, with my luck I'll end up buying a "Motorcroft" or "Nissun" part manufactured in Botswana on the internet.

I've done a lot of business with Rock Auto. No major problems to report. Some minor glitches - but their service has been fine. A solid B, and generally an excellent value.

Random comments:

Best selection I've found. Usually very low prices, but every now and then, a bit high. I usually double check. Most parts I've ordered have been OEM, but they stock very few OE parts. They almost always list the source so I can figure out what I'll be getting. Most of the OEM parts have been perfectly fine.

Watch the shipping costs. They charge only what it costs (not like the crooks who've been running amok on E-Bay), but they only have a few of the parts in their personal inventory and have parts dropshipped from other warehouses all over the place. Having parts like brake rotors shipped clear across the country via UPS can end up costing more than buying local. One order can result in 4 (or more) separate shipments. Some arrive in 2 days, some in a week.

I will continue using them as one of my first places to check. I also use their database regularly to check cross compatibility of parts from other years and models of vehicles before hitting wrecking yards. Just look up the part I'm looking for on various other years and models to find mulitiple options for junkyard searches. Many engine parts were used on dozens of years and models. Same with some suspension parts, etc.