chain or belt

hey guys my mechanic told me my VQ35DE in 01 pathy had a timing belt. I thought that this motor was chain driven like my maxima was , does anyone know ?

also any tricks to changing the accessories belts the tensioner release bolt it tight as all heck... :huh:

one more thing what type of gear oil do i need for the front and rear diffs, also what kind for the tranny so i can flush it.....

Edited by 2001pathfinderLE

Guest dssenglish

I worked at BorgWarner as an engineering intern (where Nissan timing chains are made). They were the new thing there. The most advance and the most time spent on them. Just some useless (but possibly interesting) information.

• 2 weeks later...

So does the chain ever need to be replaced? When I asked the dealer in the city I moved from, they actually did say it had no replacement schedule. Is thattrue or are they clueless? Every other vehicle I have owned had a 85k-105K timing belt replacement recommendation.

No need to replace a chain, it is made from metal and under normal use does not need to be replaced. The belt type DO wear out and need to be replaced so they have the a replacement interval.