power steering problems 2 questions!!!

98Chilkoot

When i turn my steering wheel at a complete stop at times the wheel does not turn smoothly, it kinda turns rough like in stages, but when the vehical is moving it seems to turn just fine. Also it seems it only does the erratic steering motion when the vehical is cold? any ideas, my other question is when i trun my steering wheel and max it out to the left it really squeels a high pitch noise. But if i relax the wheel just a bit there is not more noise any ideas i'm thinking there might be a link between my two problems.

***In a resent post i had a problem with a clunking in the front i realize my steering componets may be a possibility as well, but didn't want to take away from that post because it seems that its a good topic to be left alone.***

Thanks for all the help.

Rob Rzesnoski

When you turn the wheel all the way left or right and hit the stops, it puts additional strain on the power steering pump. If the power steering pump belt is loose, it will squeal.

Turning the wheel while the vehicle is stationary scuffs the tires. Irregularities in the road surface and tire tread can combine together to make steering seem rough.

Additionally when the power steering fluid is colder it may not flow as well. Have you checked the fluid level and condition recently?

Otherwise, what you've described doesn't seem that out of the ordinary.

ok perfect thanks for the info... everything makes sense, i did the timming belt and probably the belt is just a bit too loose. and the steering only feels messed up when i'm on my drive way worn out tires and the tarmack maybe be the problem, i never really noticed it before but there was also snow on the driveway. thanks for all the advice to help me solve my problems, i really do appreciate it!