Calmini UCA's installed

Earth1

The install went pretty smooth. Just a few afterthoughts. Loosen the ball joint nut on bottom before removing the old UCA. A pickle fork is nice for removing the BJs. Drilling out the bushings is way easier than burning them, I tried both. One of the hardest parts for me was getting the new BJ and UCA to line up. I finally used 2 scratch awls and 2 smaller srcrewdrivers to line up the 4 holes, and a bottle jack to move the lower assembly up. I had a stripped spindle bolt, so I just got 4 new ones, and a tap to clean all the holes up with.

I have one concern though. There is barely any room between the front of the shock and the UCA. The UCA actually contacts my shock when the BJ mount is rotated up to about 90 degrees. I'm not sure if that angle is beyond the actual travel of the suspension, it's hard to tell without the wheel on. Has anyone had a similar problem with aftermarket control arms? Is there a shock with a smaller top diameter? My sensatracs have the wider part on top, maybe an opposite design would fit better.

http://usera.imagecave.com/Earth1/ucaproject.jpg

You're probably going to need to change front shocks to a design without the dust shields, ie, Ranchos or Pro-Comps or something. Those things are really wide as they sit. You could also use a cutting wheel and cut the dust shields off at the top completely.

Earth1, what kind of gas were you using to try and burn out the bushings from the UCA's? If you were using Propane, then yes, it was probably easier to drill them out. However, if you use MAPP gas, they come out with very little effort. I did the 4 rear control arm bushings in my 200SX in 10 minutes. Just a thought.

Guest JerseyPathy

How much lift can did you actually achieve with the calmin UCAs and do the JGC springs bring the rear up enough to level the truck?

I never measured the actual amount of lift. I used the Calmini springs. I have the front maxed out to match the back, however I don't have the rear tire carrier on at the moment. When I do put it back on, I may be able to lower the front a little.

WAVEY

The spacing isn't much, but I haven't had any problems with mine. If interested on how much lift there is, look at my other post in the general. "Lifted Pathy". I'm really happy with the lift. I'm thinking about getting the steering upgrade components and look for beefier lower control arms.

Good luck with the lift! :beer:

I got my CALMINI lift on this weekend. The only major problem I had was getting out the bushings. I tried burning them and drilling them. I finally took them to a 4WD shop and had them pressed out in about 20min. I would recommend that route. I was tired of wrestling with them.

I like the lift a lot. The rear springs are pretty stiff, but I like the ride. The shocks had plenty of clearance from the control arm even with the shock boots. I'll try to post pics later. This lift is well worth the money. -bounce-

How much lift can did you actually achieve with the calmin UCAs and do the JGC springs bring the rear up enough to level the truck?

The UCA's don't lift the front, the torsion bars do. I got maybe 2.25-2.5 with the JGC coils (pigtail cut-off), and I have a tire carrier. I ran for a few months with stock UCA's, but didn't like the way they were wearing my tires. Thinkin bout trying aftermarket Jeep coils (meant to lift the JGC) for some more height. My front is level with the back (even before new UCA's), with a little room to spare at the bumpstops.

I'm definately getting new front shocks. The top of mine have already bent a little from the new UCA binding it. How do those CALMINI shocks ride Red? Did you happen to get a before and after measurement? Curious if those springs give a true 3".

I like the shocks. The springs are pretty stiff. When I compared them to the stock ones they are alot heavier, but with the tire carrier and spare it helps the ride out. Things seem to be settling with the torsion bars and the springs.

It feels like a new ride. Nowhere near the slop of the stock ride.

I haven't taken my final measurements on the lift yet. I had to keep adjusting the front because I would lift it, drive a little and it would settle back down. I finally got everything right and got it aligned with the new tires today. There was no problem on the alignment with the new UCAs.

I'll get a measurement for you tonight.

Earth 1 I got my final measurements last night. The lift has been on a week now so these may change but I got 2 7/8" in the rear with the Calmini springs. I don't carry anything in the back of my pathy and for now it just has the stock spare tire.

I got about the same in the front with the new UCA's with still about an inch from the bump stops. I've got pictures as soon as I can get them downloaded, playing with a new camera. :P