Alignment help

gardoni

OK- took the rig to Firestone for my alignment and things do not look good. Basically the top of both wheels (passenger more so than driver side) are pushed pretty far out and they say it's the UCAs and that it can't be aligned as it is. In other words too much positive camber and nowhere to adjust this. I don't think it's over lifted as there's still good space to the bump stops, and I only took it up about 2" past where it was. Both sides measure the same to the ground from the top of the wheel well.

HELP!!! Is this a problem with the Superlift UCAs or are these guys missing something? I don't recall reading anything about this problem...

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Many thanks!

-gardoni

For as much lift as you gave it you could have stuck with the stock UCAs, all they would do to allign it is put a few shims in. With the aftermarket UCAs try going up to 3" and see if it gets better since they were probably made to correct for that much of a lift.

OK, cranked all the way to the bump stops and removed the washers between the uca spindles and the frame and I'm still noticeably positive camber!

I'm thinking now that I may have gotten hosed on the UCAs (an eBay purchase) and maybe I've got the wrong ones installed. Unfortunately I can't find any part numbers on the arms anywhere- the only thing on them is the word "LATE" stamped on each one. According to Superlift's site they make ucas for the 2 and 4WD HB and the 4WD 720. 3 different part numbers.

I'm gonna call Superlift on Monday and see if they can gove me any love. Ultimately though there doesn't appear to be a way around replacing the UCAs. For no reason other than the frustration, I'm not real keen on sticking with Superlift and think I may just have to bite the bullet and buy from Calmini.

I've been able to find a couple of pics of installed Calmini ucas and they all clearly have spacers between the spindle and the frame to add positive camber to get proper alignment. Can't seem to find any pics of Superlift ucas installed, so I can't compare...

UGHGHGHGH. :furious:

gardoni

Thanks for weighing in 88. Yeah, I'm waiting on a call from Superlift to see if they can tell me anything about the lengths of the Nissan UCAs for HBs and 720s.

I just measured mine and they are 7" from the outside edge of the ball joint hole to the closest point on the tube that houses the bushings. The pic might help...

measurement

This seemed like the easiest measurement to grab. If you're able to give me the measurement on yours it would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks!

-gardoni

I got 6 3/4" from point to point. I also measured from the outer edge of the ball joint hole to the center of the front zerk fitting for another reference point (red line) and got 8" on mine.

Hope this helps.

Edited by jj big shoe

Thanks JJ. I'm 8-1/8 to the center of the zerk. I did a little geometry to figure out the linear length difference between yours and mine and it's 3/4"- plenty to account for all the extra positive camber I've got.

I also got through to Superlift and they were somewhat helpful. According to them the fact that I've got "LATE" stamped on mine indicates that they were built for late model HBs for that year period (86-1/2 to 97). Their advice was to get the shop to take 'em back and give me PN 6066, which according to Superlift's website is for the 2WD HB. They also claimed that ALL their UCAs come stamped with a part number. Since mine don't have a number they were probably built a whlie ago, possibly AFTER a design change. I'm not too confident the shop I got these through (via eBay) is gonna go for that.

I broke down and ordered a pair of Calminis today. When I get to the bottom of exactly what part I've got from Superlift I'll eBay them. Kinda blows my cheap lift apart, but I think there's a saying that every dollar saved will be punished with several other needless expenses. If the Calminis are too long and I have some mutant Pathfinder you'll read about my breakdown in the newspapers.

-alcohol-

-Gardoni

Their advice was to get the shop to take 'em back and give me PN 6066, which according to Superlift's website is for the 2WD HB

Why would they want you to put the wrong A-arms on your '90? I have part #6065 on my '87 and they're fine. I'd try to get my money back from the ebay source and buy the correct ones before I went through the hassle of installing another set that might not work. Rocky Mountain sells the Superlift UCA's for around $235 if you're interested. Its the lowest price I found when I was looking.

• 2 weeks later...