1995 Pathfinder. Brake Light Stays On?

Jairo2000

Hey, guys I just want to know if you could help me resolve this issue, I've been having recently. Two days ago my "ABS" light turned on, while I was driving, then when I got home I turned the engine off, then on again. The "ABS" light was gone, but the brake lights remained on. Even when I wasn't stepping on the brakes, so I just pulled out the fuse so it won't drain my battery. 

can it possibly be the brake light switch? 

Any suggestions would be helpful. 

Thanks in advance

1995 Nissan Pathfinder XE 

Edited by Jairo2000

Presuming Nissan didn’t change the design much for trucks in that era, there’s a rubber plug that the brake light switch makes contact with.  It’s probably deteriorated, which means the brake switch has nothing to press against, leaving the circuit closed (brake lights on).

But, I’d crawl under the dash, shine a light on the brake switch, and see if it’s missing the plug.

This happened on my 98 Frontier just a few weeks ago, fully drained my battery as it sat for weeks undetected, and it was a pain to replace such a trivial and inexpensive piece. 

Edited by hawairish
  • Like 2

Had the exact same thing happen about three weeks ago. Darn little rubber button on the brake peddle rotten off and fell out. GREAT BIG PAIN IN THE XXX to replace unless you got very small hands.

16 hours ago, SCJax2018 said:

Had the exact same thing happen about three weeks ago. Darn little rubber button on the brake peddle rotten off and fell out. GREAT BIG PAIN IN THE XXX to replace unless you got very small hands.

Small hands, two right arms, a 1’ neck, and the willingness to consider pulling driver’s seat out if you need to breathe.  Seriously one of the worst jobs I’ve ever had to do on my Frontier.  At least the original part lasted 20 years. 

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Had similar problem. Changed switch still remained on. Did some research on YOUTUBE, As everyone says there is rubber groumets on pedal. Ordered mine from Midway Nissan O.E.M. Swapped out problem fixed.