Hot-To: Replacing Fender/Bumper

Is there a step by step or can anyone let me know how to replace the front bumper and driver's side fender on my 93? I want to replace them on my truck because I was forced off of the road by a woman and into a bog in mid January, and am in the process of ordering parts for it. I have included some old pics of the damage. The front bumper, along with the side marker light, and drivers side fog light (may just need a bulb) and turn signal.

Has anyone ever done this, and is there anything to look out for? Will I be able to do this inside of a weekend? (gotta work during the week) Do I need any special tools?

Oh, and one more thing, does anyone know how much it would cost to get the rear fram welded up? I remember reading that someone on here had it done, but forget who.

Thanks!

Edit: Should I post this in The Garage Instead?

Here are the pics of the damage:

poortruckmedium9gi.jpg

runsperfectthomedium2cb.jpg

Edited by RealDealNamowicz

The bumper should be fairly straight forward. If it's like my '87 (most likely is), there's two brackets that go from the bumper to the frame. Unplug the lights, remove the bottom 12mm bolts that hold the brackets on at the frame and loosen the top 12mm bolts. Then slide/wiggle the bumper and brackets off as a unit. No special tools needed.

As far as the fender, I'd start by taking everything attached to it off (fender flare, plastic inner fender, etc.) then remove all the bolts holding it on.

Good luck.

never done it, but Im with jj, should be pretty straight forward (ratchet and definitely a phillips for the flares); but ouch mines a 93 too and that hurts, I feel for ya, Iwouda been pissed, good luck bro

looks like youll propably need a new headlight bracket too, or a hammer and some patience

hey and on that side marker (did mine this weekend) theres a retaining screw on the bottom to watch for (took me a while to notice it cuz it wouldn't go on right)

Edited by headpeace

Depending on how cheap you are, you may not need to replace a thing. This is my handywork. The finished result looks much better in person. One of these days I am going to put on a new fender and bumper.

It started out bashed in enough that the body was hitting the tire. The only parts that I replaced were the lights- $20 form the JY.

EDIT: Just read the other posts. I hammered out my headlight bracket no problem. Actually hammered everything back out. I was amazed at how east it went. A lot of time, but it all went smooth. I used a come-along to pull the bumper and fender out. The hood was not damaged. The fender was pulled down in front, so it looks like the hood was popped. There was only one bolt "mount" that I was not able to realign. Some people call this ghetto, but I had a lot of fun fixing it.

One tip for if you pull the grill" when reinstalling it, put the clips in the grill first, then push it back on.

Patience is key. Everything was very straight forward. Good luck!

post-6-1113354353.jpg

Edited by Repack

LOL repack, thats not the posture I'd asume next to a tensioned comealong...

Ok RDN, one problem you have is that you have bent your radiator support at that corner. anything you try to mount up, wont in that spot. I recommend pulling it out in the same manner. First, just do the bumper, but stop if it starts to crease, the rest will have to be done by hand, don't be shy about trying it. Next I'd try to pull that corner forward, including the radiator support (you dont want to replace this if you dont have to) Then I would remove the fender, finish the radiator support, and give some love to the fender to try to save it. Start with a comealong (it's worth buying), pry, pull and hammer the rest; you would be suprised at what can be done with some attention and patience...

Ok, to qualify this, I'm a machinist, not an autobody guy and have only done a little of this work reciently. I hit a cement island 3 months ago (did QUITE a bit more damage) and have had my truck in 2 auto shops, watching what they did, and how. Since then I have 'fixed' many little things and improved many others. I am not an autobody guy, but what I described is how I would handle the damage. If you are not satisfied with the results, pros and/or replacing parts comes next... If you were near me, I could send you to a guy who would get it to 80% for no more than $300. Have you considered asking some shops in the area what they could do (with your prepwork) for cash ??? Worth a shot and you may be suprised. Hopefully an autobody guy will chime in to correct me or point out details. GL !!

Bernard

LOL repack, thats not the posture I'd asume next to a tensioned comealong...

Bernard

[i was posing :D I'm not that stupid!

Like you, I learned by watching. I knew all those Discovery channel shows were good for something! But seriously, I watched what they did and tried to do the same. It is amazing what you can do to sheet metal.

Glad to hear repack :P I didn't want to think so (just finished reading an ER book), but mainly wanted the RDN not to think it was ok. Glad we have that solved.

Yeah, autobody was a mystery to me before, now it's just a wonder. I'm not sleighting the knowledge involved, but it's amazing how much they use chains, comealongs, pry bars and mallets. Like I said, I'm a newbie at it, but I have an idea what I would try next time; something like what you did...

B

One last thing:

The one tool that I did not have was a standard C-clamp. This would have allowed me to get it MUCH better. There are only so many places that you can fit a hook to. The one are that could be better that you can see is the corner of the fender near the hood. A C-clamp would have flattened that out much better. Also, form the camera POV, the lower-right corner of the headlight opening is still bent. I had to replace a "short" bolt with one that was ~3" long. Putting a clamp on this spot and then hooking it to the come-along would make things even better. I don't know if you can see, but the corner light is out of alignment. One of these days I am going to take it apart and fininsh what I started.

If I had more $ I'd do it the "right" way, but instead I'm doing it the fun way (I'm a college student). I'd rather spend my money on things like timing belts, suspension rehab, and tires than stuff that won't stop my motor from dying.

The tools you need are all very basic. The only thing I can think of that could be over looked is a long drift pin/pry bar. I did the work at my friend's house (You can see the corner of his Pathy). He had a couple of old jackhammer bits that really came in handy. Each was ~36" long. One had a standard chissel tip and the other was a "bent" chissel tip. After the picture was taken, I jacked it up and took the wheel off so that I could work on the damage from the inside. The bits made it easy to reach deep inside to hit the dents out. I was also ablt to stand up while hammering => no back pain and more power.

EDIT: Since I've typed so much and its not exactly what RDN is asking for, I'm thinking of posting this in the garage section. Collissions outside theframe rails seem to cause somewhat uniform damage. If I do, I'll post more pics.

Edited by Repack