GU Patrol snorkel on R50

Hey all,

As I've recently been playing around in the Waimakariri river (and do a fair few trips involving crossings) I wanted to install a snorkel on my R50. However, I didn't like how the R50 snorkel necessitated cutting through the front subframe (and they're damn expensive). Instead, I have purchased a snorkel for a GU Patrol. I have spent the evening test-fitting it and sorting out the intake, and I'm pleased to report it should (in theory) fit. The pipe that comes out of the back of the snorkel body is 3.5", after it goes from a flat section to a tube. To connect the intake, I will use a 3" flexi hose from the airbox, through into the guard, and a 3.5" to 3" PVC reducer. I believe this should work. And yes, it is a damn tight fit inside the fender.

Pics will come on Sunday when I attempt the install.

The only problem is that the R50 door is a "clamshell" style and wraps around the A-pillar, so I have had to install it at a more vertical angle to compensate. This means that the snorkel head will sit out from the A-pillar and require a custom top bracket.

Perhaps I should have used a D22 snorkel, but I wanted a challenge, and this only cost me $129NZ to my door.

Edited by KiwiTerrano
  • Like 2

Hey all,

I have purchased a snorkel for a GU Patrol.

Please post pics. I was just about to put a Navarra one on mines& I would be interested in seeing how this alternative works out. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro