Location for coolant temp sensor?

colinnwn

After 3 years of reliable operation, my electric radiator fan (that has the external probe you push into the core) didn't come on with the coolant temp passing 212 degrees. I originally set it to come on as close to 190 as possible. The actual turn on temp varied between 185 and 195.

The first thing I tried was pushing it into a new location in the radiator. Over the years it had gouged out the original location where it wasn't getting good contact. That got it coming back on at 200 degrees. To get it coming on at 190 degrees, I had to set the adjustable temp control to its lowest setting. So the controller is slowly dying (at least in sensitivity).

I'd like to get a new controller with a proper coolant temp sensor in the radiator water. Has anyone found a location to put another one of these into the engine?

If not, I've considered getting one of those metal adapters that you splice into your radiator hose, that has the bung for a temp sensor. The ones I've seen are bulky. Has anyone found a good option to do this?

Thanks.

How far did you move the probe? If it's in a colder part of the radiator, that could explain the difference you're seeing in when it comes on.

The very next core column over, so probably 1/4 of an inch.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk