Looking for a new Nissan..advice?

Guest trapper_canada

Guest trapper_canada

Hi again all...it has been a LONG time since I have been here. I am kinda shocked I still new my userid/password!

I still have my old 89 Pathy....but I think it is time to look for something newer.

I am looking at a newer (1999-2002) Pathfinder, Chilkoot, or Xterra. I am looking to spend under 20K CDN and it looks like I can find that price in these ranges.

I am wondering if there is anything that I should be looking for in particular or something to avoid? I am familiar with some of the older Pathfinder problems but don't know about the newer models.

The only "requirement" is I will be towing about 1,500 - 2,000 lbs at times (incl trailor). Are there models/ engines that have better fuel economy?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Travis

Where abouts are you?

I picked up my 99.5 pathy last summer for well under $20,000... had low km's also.

If you want to know what problems to look out for - check out the lemonaid books - I think you can get them on amazon.ca, or even better, stop by chapters for a quick read if you're only into a couple trucks...

The only thing I remember off hand for the pathy was to look out for bad struts... one of mine were bad, but the dealer fixed that up for me...

check out this thread on SOXC (Southern Ontario Xterra Club) for info on possible Xterra problems...

http://www.soxc.org/soxc/zzforum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6963

Hi Trapper

I picked up my 2002 in Victoria BC in December 2004 as a lease return for $22,500 so you should be able to get a 2000 or maybe a 01 for your budget out here on the left coast. My research showed that eastern Canada Pathfinders were asking about $2,000 less than out west. :crazy:

Except for the 6 CD changer it has been trouble free, even at -36 on the original battery. Here are the towing specs from the 2002 Owners Manual (no difference for 3.3 or 3.5 L motor, only for manual or auto transmission) (sorry I can not get the columns to line up :wacko: ):

TOWING LOAD/SPECIFICATION CHART

Unit: lb (kg)

MODEL: Pathfinder VQ35DE/VG33E (6-Cyl.)

WEIGHT M/T A/T

MAXIMUM TRAILER WEIGHT* 1 3,500 (1,588) 5,000 (2,268)

MAXIMUM TONGUE LOAD 350 (159) 500 (227)

GROSS COMBINED WEIGHT RATING 8,000 (3,628) 9,500 (4,308)

RECOMMENDED EQUIPMENT* 2 Sway Control Device (SCD)

Notes

*1: All towing above 1,000 lb (454 kg) requires the use of trailer brakes. Nissan recommends the use of a tandem axle trailer whenever towing above 3,000 lb (1,361 kg).

*2: A sway control device is recommended for all towing above 2,000 lb (907 kg). Sway control devices are not offered by Nissan. See a professional trailer/hitch outlet for a properly designed sway control device for your trailer.

Guest trapper_canada
Where abouts are you?

Home is "normally" Regina, SK but for the past 7 months (and next 5) I am calling Hamilton, Ont home.

ALL used vehicles...especially luxury cars, Import SUVs and Motorcycles are MUCH cheaper here than in Saskatchewan. So..my thinking was to get one here and bring it back home with me in late August.

Thanks for the xterra link...I will look it up (although I think I'd rather have a Pathfinder)

Guest trapper_canada
Hi Trapper

I picked up my 2002 in Victoria BC in December 2004 as a lease return for $22,500 so you should be able to get a 2000 or maybe a 01 for your budget out here on the left coast. My research showed that eastern Canada Pathfinders were asking about $2,000 less than out west. :crazy:

That is what I have found to be true as well and why I am looking while I am out here.

thanks for the towing info...looks like that won't be an issue...it just needs to pull a bike trailor with a couple of cruisers on the back B)