High idle when pressing clutch in

Hey guys I'm having a problem when coming to a stop I will press the clutch in and the idle will shoot up to 1700 to 2000 and doesn't come back down until I come to a complete stop. It's like a tiny man is pressing the throttle for me. I can literally let the car just drive itself I don't understand what's going on. It doesn't do this all the time but it does do it quite often especially when it's cold or when it's been sitting overnight other times the car is perfect no check engine lights for high idle or nothing. Is my idle air control valve sticking does it have something to do with the throttle body I know the throttle is cable driven and it's not sticking so I know that's not it but something is going on and to be quite honest with you I use more gas because like I said it's like somebody is pressing the gas for me. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated guys I can also upload a video if need be to show exactly what my 98 Pathfinder is doing.

Sent from my SM-G530T using Tapatalk

That's a really interesting issue. It always seems to have the throttle open? Or only when the clutch is pushed in?

I would double check tension on the throttle cable, and have someone press the clutch while you watch the throttle cable. I can't imagine the clutch is throwing off anything with the TPS, or causing any additional problems engine related. I drive an automatic pathy, but I know the manual mechanisms pretty well.

Though I doubt it, is the clutch master or slave cylinder maybe worn? It's all hydraulic driven... So I cant imagine the clutch is putting load on the engine.

I'd double check the TPS, the cable, and just have someone press the clutch and see if you can see anything out of line.

• Like 1

It's a weird issue. I've unplugged my tps and no change it still does it. I will definitely try what you said to do. Thanks a lot. Any information you can give me about the transmission would be greatly appreciated. I changed the tran fluid on Monday with MT-90 Red Line synthetic gear oil GL-4, and it shifts so smooth. I looked everywhere for this oil at my local auto parts stores and they didn't carry it, all they carried was GL-5 and of course the guy at the counter at every store said it would be okay to put that in my transmission but I knew better. I went by the FSM manual.

Edited by Mrelcocko

either your idle air control valve is sticking, or you cleaned the throttle body recently, or the high idle cam is stuck and needs to be unhooked. Top 3 guesses there.

To check you idle air control valve bump the steering wheel left or right with the clutch in while at a complete stop, rpm should rise about 50 to 200 rpm.

visually inspect the cold start or high idle cam, there are marks on it for warm and cold. get a free fsm and look it up in there for a better explanation of it.

if those two things don't work out. i would put the money on the idle air control valve which is located under the rear of the upper intake plenum.

If you do end up having to change the IACV it is a great time to throw new Valve cover gaskets on it.

Hope it helped u out.

Pat

either your idle air control valve is sticking, or you cleaned the throttle body recently, or the high idle cam is stuck and needs to be unhooked. Top 3 guesses there.

To check you idle air control valve bump the steering wheel left or right with the clutch in while at a complete stop, rpm should rise about 50 to 200 rpm.

visually inspect the cold start or high idle cam, there are marks on it for warm and cold. get a free fsm and look it up in there for a better explanation of it.

if those two things don't work out. i would put the money on the idle air control valve which is located under the rear of the upper intake plenum.

If you do end up having to change the IACV it is a great time to throw new Valve cover gaskets on it.

Hope it helped u out.

Pat

I change the valve cover gaskets about a year ago of course and I know you know this they were leaking terribly. When I hooked everything back up I totally forgot to hook the idle air control valve connector up and didn't realize it until about a week later it was running rough and of course me not knowing enough about the engine at the time took the plenum back off just to make sure everything was connected correctly and to make sure that I connected the idle air control valve. I did what you said and pushed my clutch in at a dead stop and turn my wheel left and right and it did rise up 50 to 200 RPMs. I've already set the fast idle cam by the FSM manuals and the marks that are located on it, but I'm not a Nissan mechanic I'm a shade tree mechanic so who knows if I got it right or not. Sometimes if the car sits overnight or if it sets while I'm at work when I come back out to start it sometimes it sounds like the son of a b**** is going to take off. And I'm guessing it's the sound of the fan but sometimes it doesn't do that sometimes it starts uo anf sounds normal. So maybe it's sticking how would I know if it's sticking that's my question? I can't remember what the little cylinder is called that brings the idle down. Maybe that's my problem. Thanks for the help so far. It's had this issue ever since I changed the valve cover gaskets. Anymore help would be greatly appreciated. I can send a video to show you what it does. It does it really bad when it's cold or when the motor is cold not so much when it's already warmed up.

thermal element. The way i knew mine was sticking is as such:

warmed up pathy to operating temp. after it was fully warmed up, i looked at the marks on the idle cam and the position of it. when i saw it wasnt rotated to the warm position, i unhooked it completely and fired the pathy up. idle dropped down to normal. all fixed. hehe

thermal element. The way i knew mine was sticking is as such:

warmed up pathy to operating temp. after it was fully warmed up, i looked at the marks on the idle cam and the position of it. when i saw it wasnt rotated to the warm position, i unhooked it completely and fired the pathy up. idle dropped down to normal. all fixed. hehe

How did you unhook it?